Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Postby keyser » 10 Nov 2017, 17:31

dstojkov wrote:Basically there is always 2 group in a community that have opposite view about the topic balance and their comprehension about the meaning of the concept adaptation

The first with the claim new balance change meta and force player to change continually with the perspective it will bring new game styles

The second with the claim learn basic and build up your strategy upon continually repeat same mechanism till you got better.

It is obvious that the first group is willing to disturb well know strategy in order for them to not learn the basic and thus with the disturbance factor hoping to win quickly. Basically they don t want to adapt and argue that the game is stacked because group two not ready/willing to adapt to something new.
The second in contrary want to build up something while testing what is rewarding what is not thus becoming better with games played and are not really happy when new balance tweak the strategies they have already learned and tested.

If faf want to bring new players that will remain low skills for a long time and make older player leave strategy one

If faf want to consolidate and get better players strategy two. But it forces new players to learn ...

Not to mention that for competitive game play strategy one does not fit at all. Imagine every month chess got new unit and change the way how the piece move ... :shock:

nice caricatural way of seeing this. You either fall into one of this 2 categories. No middle ground at all.

tbh I think we have an highly conservative balance on this game already. If we wanted to have this "dynamic balance", you would have to learn everything everytime, ie : it's not first land, 2 pgen, 2 mexx... Now it's 1st air facto (5 bomber and then 1 engie) then 2 land facto. We can definitely make a game where building engie in early become really risky/borderline useless to promote early aggression. Though we are not.

If you want another comparison, Equilibrium does change the game way more than we do. And yet (aside for edge cases) we can still play it without having to re-learn everything, or whatever excuses. It feels extremely similar in terms of gameplay, and that's why it is now rated.

So we are ready to listen to you, but you have to understand that you shouldn't over dramatize the current situation.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby dstojkov » 10 Nov 2017, 17:44

keyser wrote:nice caricatural way of seeing this. You either fall into one of this 2 categories. No middle ground at all.

In every balance change you always have players who agree and other who don t. This is not caricatural at all. Thus though there is the group that don t express itself ...

I have nothing about new way of play even new units !!!

But in this case this is another featured mod ...

I wish me changes that buff what is weak so I it don t have to relearn what I have already learned to do but open a new possible strategy.
I was all about to buff what was UP in 3599 not to nerf all what was too rewarded we would have then all the old player till sitting there and contribute
Last edited by dstojkov on 10 Nov 2017, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Morax » 10 Nov 2017, 17:47

Speed2 I didn't say he had to be top 10 ladder but he should at least be something.

I asked: what has he done and what evidence does he have that the changes need to happen?

I don't want the game to go without change but I want active players to go along with them AND react to what people say.

You are taking an extreme example and putting words in my mouth. Opinions are fine but they are only worth as much as the people who back them up.

"I don't like playing the game because it doesn't change enough" is a meaningless example.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Morax » 10 Nov 2017, 17:49

Hey voodoo, why don't you come play some team games then tell me you want to allow them to speak?

I bet you last less than a full game before you want to rage quit... Seriously, get some experience with the current state of FaF before you publicly say all opinions matter.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 10 Nov 2017, 17:50

As an advocate for tied forum/faf accounts
can you stop?
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby jackherer » 10 Nov 2017, 18:31

Damn i initiate a 12 pages topic with some decent talk. Just ping me on client if you want me to bring back some life to the forum again
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Postby Franck83 » 10 Nov 2017, 18:47

If we could have channeled all the power, time and talk invested in these balance and FAF political threads into creative process.... we would already have at least 2 new generations of graphic engines designed from scratch for FA :shock:.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Scruffy » 10 Nov 2017, 18:52

Please stick to the topic. This thread isn't about balance and Scruffy does not want to clean up the mess.
Scruffy
Bot

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Scruffy

Postby dstojkov » 10 Nov 2017, 20:16

Franck83 wrote:If we could have channeled all the power, time and talk invested in these balance and FAF political threads into creative process.... we would already have at least 2 new generations of graphic engines designed from scratch for FA :shock:.

Well this is the consequence of a global patch. It is now too late to change that. But what can be done is to have multiple featured mod that fit better players play style or level/experience but for that you need several ladders

the idea is to provide a progressing level of difficulty for instance the beginner play style is bunkering per default a balance oriented bunkering could be here a good thing. On the other hand this is a too boring play style for expert they want more action and possibility for making stress or snipe
dstojkov
Evaluator

Been liked: 24 times

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 13 Nov 2017, 03:43

Morax wrote:If you were someone I encountered in ladder and team games often I would respect your opinion, but part of my decision to commit less time to making content for this game is because of a bad player base.

Respecting opinions of people because they spend a lot of time playing SupCom is the dumbest attitude I've seen for a long while :lol:

I don't think SupCom is fun because I like to be good at RTS I play. Being good at SupCom (among many other things) means knowing how tree groups work and how to reclaim them, when to click rocks really fast and how to use factory attack move. All those features look like odd quirky design choices of an ageing game to me and I certainly felt like wasting my time when learning them.

Every RTS ever had good players leaving. But maybe FAF could have an easier time growing new ones. I might of course be the only one who stopped playing because of such things but I doubt it.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions