(Upd: Dec. 2, 2017) Advert video is finished.

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

(Upd: Dec. 2, 2017) Advert video is finished.

Postby Medicraze » 08 Sep 2017, 16:58

I will be updating this post as progress occurs
Latest update: Dec. 2, 2017
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUDcyKur-Ag
upload images

Here's the Nov. Update...things are getting complicated...

Hey FAFers, broke my elbow, surgery on the 12th, can't work, I've got time to kill (2 month recovery period) etc...

Objective:
1: Increase adoption rate of FAF RTS by theory of diffusion.

Target audience
- Current RTS players who are not aware of faf (obviously wider range, but this is primary). RTS players who have bias
toward starcraft, AoE, etc.

Addressing Perceived Barriers
1: Gamer's who may be skeptical/hesitant about joining faf.
2: Before joining, I was very hesitant about joining faf, or even playing SupCom. The stigma of this older game, the time
requirement + learning curve is a barrier for potential players. I have time to kill, and I'm going to try and get this ball
rolling.
3: Modernize the perception of this game to attract more players.

Secondary Project:
- Launching a YT playlist resembling: "Why FAF is better than (insert RTS game here)" This will tag new and popular RTS
games that people are currently playing, and increase diffusion rate towards FAF (at the very least expose them to an RTS
they may not be aware of). This will help spread mind share in RTS genre.

If you are a dev (and are willing), feel free to advertise this on FAF update section if you feel this is a good idea.

What I need from community:
- I need replays with ID, and time stamp of the event you are gushing over (the part that makes it worth it).
- Showcases that make the game unique (obvious, but I need epic examples)
- Team play
- I need people who have experience with a variety of RTS's to tell me some differences (I have experience in AoE2/3,
Starcraft, supcom2, all of the command & conquers). Looking for people who have experience in modern titles (if not, I will
just research via "lets plays etc.")

Special thanks to:
Blodir: For offering his music. I actually will be using parts of it.

My YT channel link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1o2S ... l919xX5qoA
Updated Look. Obv temporary, on account of it still looking like crap. Better than nothing though.

Progress Update Section
1: Update Video 1:
Audio timing, video edit software test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTk1Rm_ ... e=youtu.be

2: Update Video 2:
Optimizing video rendering, color correction, icons, and effect. **this will not make the final cut. This is just a test.**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2IWybAlkM

2: Update Video 3:
https://youtu.be/MoeK7Xi1dis

: Update video 4 9/20/2017:
15 sec video uploaded. This is an excerpt from a 5:58 min video. **this will not make the final cut. This is just a test.**
https://youtu.be/bgdbCjKgvhE

To do list.
- Attention grabbing intro - Done
- Stabilize in-game camera function (done) - Done
- Style of trailer (aggressive, epic, informative, etc.)
: Update** Trailer will be based on a review approach.

Update** 9/16/2017
- Had a few people watch the finished trailer, and I'm redoing it. It was apparently too serious, and my voice was too
monotone. Redoing it mostly.

: Update video 5 and 6 - 10/5/2017:
These videos are unlisted. The only way to access them is through the link below. Feedback is appreciated, but these unfinished samples are most likely X'd from final project as they do not meet the direction I want and my standards of quality. Ignore the video's black sections, this was uploaded prior to me filling in the gaps with visuals. Simply put it's too cheesy for me. Thanks you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRc0kz8 ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM7Teta ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Medicraze on 02 Dec 2017, 20:25, edited 24 times in total.
Medicraze
Medicraze

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 72 times
FAF User Name: Medicraze

Re: Medicraze here: Advert/Comp vid. Message to Devs and Pla

Postby speed2 » 08 Sep 2017, 17:09

Better to find someone else than Gyle cause you'll be long time back in full strenght before he'd find some time to do this.
#experience
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Evan_ » 08 Sep 2017, 17:14

Glad to see you doing this for the community! Maybe it's time for me to get into gear as well.

I'm sure some people will take issue with the "Is better than" part, but whatever. For the replays, can they be sandboxed? It's sometimes hard to create an epic battle on a beautiful map that highlights a particular strategy, and if we can control the environment we can remove all other units to reduce lag.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby Mephi » 08 Sep 2017, 17:23

Some PR for FAF nice :mrgreen:

some small advice from my side:

xx4u2NVxx wrote: "Why FAF is better than (insert RTS game here)".

Telling people something is better than what they like and love is a difficult approach, because they tend to defend what they know and not consider the other option. Something like, what can FA offer additionally or what problem of the game is solved in FA, probably has more success.
For example, switching around the map with hotkeys or clicking on minimap => use strategic zoom to see whole map at once.

I think there were some other approaches in this direction already(isn't der a promotion councilor? :mrgreen: ) maybe search a bit in the forum
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby Medicraze » 08 Sep 2017, 17:24

speed2 wrote:Better to find someone else than Gyle cause you'll be long time back in full strenght before he'd find some time to do this.
#experience

Oh believe me I know. That's why I have retention plans lol
Medicraze
Medicraze

Postby Medicraze » 08 Sep 2017, 17:26

Mephi wrote:Some PR for FAF nice :mrgreen:

some small advice from my side:

xx4u2NVxx wrote: "Why FAF is better than (insert RTS game here)".

Telling people something is better than what they like and love is a difficult approach, because they tend to defend what they know and not consider the other option. Something like, what can FA offer additionally or what problem of the game is solved in FA, probably has more success.
For example, switching around the map with hotkeys or clicking on minimap => use strategic zoom to see whole map at once.

I think there were some other approaches in this direction already(isn't der a promotion councilor? :mrgreen: ) maybe search a bit in the forum

I know Mephi, I'm mostly spitballing here. Nothing is final. But it will most likely be a Game Vs. Game type of thing. Ofc people will defend there biass as I am for faf, but the point is to increase exposure.
Medicraze
Medicraze

Postby Medicraze » 08 Sep 2017, 17:27

EvanGalea wrote:Glad to see you doing this for the community! Maybe it's time for me to get into gear as well.

I'm sure some people will take issue with the "Is better than" part, but whatever. For the replays, can they be sandboxed? It's sometimes hard to create an epic battle on a beautiful map that highlights a particular strategy, and if we can control the environment we can remove all other units to reduce lag.

Yes, this point is clear. Will likely be a Game v Game scenario where good and bad are listed. All games have their faults.
Medicraze
Medicraze

Postby Farmsletje » 08 Sep 2017, 17:31

Triple post ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Medicraze » 08 Sep 2017, 18:07

triple post? What do you mean...oh they all said the same thing or i posted 3 times
Medicraze
Medicraze

Postby JoonasTo » 08 Sep 2017, 20:05

If somebody has a replay saved of the game where TLO uses his own ACU to com-bomb the enemy inties allowing his mercies to snipe the enemy, that would be perfect for this. Plus using people like him who have a name can drag in a few more viewers.

The main thing that you can use as a draw for players is the ease of this game compared to other RTS. The mechanical skill floor is very low here compared to most other RTS games so starting is very easy. All you need to learn is the shift key ^^

Co-op campaigns are amazing and always sought after for a group of friends.

Custom templates, Custom Hotkeys(like, you can actually make new hotkeys for this game when you want them!) are stuff that are prime coolness factor for geeks.

The amazing 20,000 unit battles work for the rest xD

Oh and most importantly, remember to mention that there is a steady influx of new players so they don't have to only play with old geezers who are far too good in the game. This is a huge obstacle for most people.

Don't really have enough experience with newer RTS(aside from SC2:LotV), really just spent too little time on most of them but pretty much all the old ones you listed are on my list if you need help with those(though haven't been part of the community on them for a long time so can't help with promotion there.)

You might also want to consider taking a hit at the MOBA genre. That's got a lot of players who are there because it just happens to be available. And there are always people who played this ages ago and don't even remember this exists. For those the largest number of views is all that matters.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Next

Return to General Discussions