High rated players want to have fun too

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: High rated players want to have fun too

Postby biass » 10 Sep 2017, 07:20

Isn't complaining about the maps kinda missing the point of the pool?

With the system, you don't even really have to pick "bad maps", they're there if you're feeling like something fresh or different but unlike small pool if they're there you never have to play them?

Spoiler: show
who remember a long while ago when everyone thought skill meant being able to make up bos on the fly on maps they never played before etc and now this :mrgreen:

lich, you're not helping anyone
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby JoonasTo » 10 Sep 2017, 11:09

biass wrote:
Spoiler: show
who remember a long while ago when everyone thought skill meant being able to make up bos on the fly on maps they never played before etc and now this :mrgreen:

This is actually how AoE kinda works. You play random maps that have certain rules but the rest is up to the player to adapt to different geography of the map. You don't need new BOs but you need to be able to read the map on the fly so to speak.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Mad`Mozart » 12 Sep 2017, 21:05

So i played some ladder for couple days and damn im already getting sick of the maps :x
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 13 Sep 2017, 13:17

Most of SupCom skill is knowing the map and having a good build, then managing eco. Both are more difficult with growing map size and pool. So maybe the best solution would be to adapt those two factors to player skill. For example by implementing different leagues with different map pools. One ranging from 0-800 with a small pool of mostly small maps. Map rotation could be quite slow as well. The next ranging from 800-1400 and the last one for 1400+ so high level players can still find games. Players shouldn't switch leagues just by rating, there should be some delay to prepare and adapt.

This would however require considerable coding work.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby zeroAPM » 13 Sep 2017, 16:14

So if i memorized a perfect play in a map does it means i'm skillful even though i have zero idea how to play all others?
By that logic one could make a big series of scripts that perfectly play a map, reclaim with perfect efficiency, get the engineers out at the earliest possible moment, recognizes certain patterns in the enemy (first land/first air first lab/first bomber) and reacts accordingly (after all i coded every viable enemy BO for that map), a TAS on steroids if you will. Is the script skillful even though it falls flat on it's face on a map that has one of the mass reclaim areas 0.001 map units further away from spawn?
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 13 Sep 2017, 19:48

That analogy obviously doesn't work. That script is an emulation of your skills (and if you can do that you'd be the most amazing scripting person ever), but you have the imagination to see how things that work perfectly on map A don't work at all on map B, or work only for a bit on map C.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby zeroAPM » 14 Sep 2017, 17:32

Plasma_Wolf wrote:That analogy obviously doesn't work. That script is an emulation of your skills (and if you can do that you'd be the most amazing scripting person ever), but you have the imagination to see how things that work perfectly on map A don't work at all on map B, or work only for a bit on map C.

In some TASes they use lua scripts to find the best sequences of inputs to traverse a section. Pretty much what the TASer does, but automated to an extent.
Also i don't, necessarily, have to be amazing at scripting, if i had enough time and a beefy enough computer i could have the program do it by itself (though i'd probably be dead of old age before it finishes). I might have zero skill at the game but just waited enough time for a dumb machine to number crunch a perfect play by exploiting it's outrageous reaction speed and it's near infinite APM.

There are scripts for hover bombing, i've seen dodge micro scripts for Starcraft, there are scripts that manage eco, etc etc etc.
Is the program skillful if it has completely mastered one map and only that one map?

What i'm getting at
>able to adapt to any situation=good
>learning BO and meta for 4-5 maps=bad
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Petricpwnz » 14 Sep 2017, 19:31

Learning maps is NOT skill. It's a limited skillset at best and a copycat formula at worst. A good player who has skill and no build will outplay whored builds after a few games on the map. Or sometimes right from the first game. And i'm not even mentioning improvisation games on fresh maps.
Hence why some people get away from the game for months and come back still good and others without preparation and watching tons of replays start to play like trash.
They try to learn maps and builds instead of getting a pair of capable hands and a brain.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby edizon » 19 Sep 2017, 01:56

How many people voted,when you made a poll about the pool?i think the problem is that, most of the players didnt even know if there is a poll,beacuse its hidden in the forum somewhere.It would be nice to vote in the faf client main page,or at least to see a link to the poll.and yes,it would be nice to see 80-100 maps in the pool too.we could try it and revert it if it would be less played.but i doubt it would less played.

I think many of them dont play ladder now because there is only 7 maps in the pool,and they know ,those  who play ,they have the PERFECT bo for these maps.its hard to start like this.and its not the case with 100 maps.
edizon
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: edizon

Postby speed2 » 19 Sep 2017, 05:12

edizon wrote:How many people voted,when you made a poll about the pool?i think the problem is that, most of the players didnt even know if there is a poll,beacuse its hidden in the forum somewhere.It would be nice to vote in the faf client main page,or at least to see a link to the poll.and yes,it would be nice to see 80-100 maps in the pool too.we could try it and revert it if it would be less played.but i doubt it would less played.

I think many of them dont play ladder now because there is only 7 maps in the pool,and they know ,those  who play ,they have the PERFECT bo for these maps.its hard to start like this.and its not the case with 100 maps.

Hidden on the forums you say? https://www.faforever.com/2017/04/ladde ... ool-survey
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Previous

Return to General Discussions