High rated players want to have fun too

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: High rated players want to have fun too

Postby Petricpwnz » 07 Sep 2017, 19:52

Being in the pool is a poitless complaint if they won't be getting those maps, can (should) add plenty of "spicy" maps like hardffa or generic teamgame maps, nobody is forcing people to play them.

Again depends on how exactly you implement it, I have some ideas for pretty close to perfect solution so if you actually are considering this mb pm me on faf at some point)
Ah and yes it will require some coding, boohoo. Waiting 5345345 more months for some map picking algorithm is better than waiting 345345 months idle.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Wesmania » 07 Sep 2017, 20:10

Petricpwnz wrote:Ah and yes it will require some coding, boohoo. Waiting 5345345 more months for some map picking algorithm is better than waiting 345345 months idle.

We're spending our free time doing dev, and we're doing it for free. Please respect that. You're welcome to help with the implementation.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby Petricpwnz » 07 Sep 2017, 20:34

Wesmania wrote:
Petricpwnz wrote:Ah and yes it will require some coding, boohoo. Waiting 5345345 more months for some map picking algorithm is better than waiting 345345 months idle.

We're spending our free time doing dev, and we're doing it for free. Please respect that. You're welcome to help with the implementation.

Where did I disprespect it? :l
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Morax » 08 Sep 2017, 03:23

Tokyto wrote:By the way, what maps would you pick for your 80+ pool? Currently i got 26 maps that i choose from. I'm slowly adding along the way, but i honesly doubt you can come up with more then 35. After that it's all going down the hill. (So basically i would get complains about shit maps being in the pool 24/7)

yeah if I see a ladder pool with Zorg Rampage or some of the other monstrosities it will be all for naught.

Toky, you should share the list of that 26 and mebee work together a bit on it.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Tokyto » 08 Sep 2017, 13:29

Morax wrote:
Tokyto wrote:By the way, what maps would you pick for your 80+ pool? Currently i got 26 maps that i choose from. I'm slowly adding along the way, but i honesly doubt you can come up with more then 35. After that it's all going down the hill. (So basically i would get complains about shit maps being in the pool 24/7)

yeah if I see a ladder pool with Zorg Rampage or some of the other monstrosities it will be all for naught.

I definitely will in near future, need to still add some sparkles to it. I dont really like showing unfinished work :)
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

Postby TheKoopa » 08 Sep 2017, 14:26

Morax wrote:

Petricpwnz wrote:How about we sit down and consider for a second.

Big map pool aka zep map pool provided us with 80+ maps of which you could freely choose only the maps you want to play. And on an overlap with a generic ladder opponent it will check your commonly picked maps which will result in providing you with even less maps to play.

You want to know what my biggest complaint about big map pool was? TOO FEW MAPS! How, how how how how how how??? is? this?? "too many maps to learn"??? It will be a SMALL MAP POOL AND ONLY WITH THE MAPS !!!!YOU!!!! PICKED PERSONALLY!

Why do I want it then? Because when I'm bored out of my mind after playing same 5 maps vs one opponent I will wait for another guy to play with or GO AND CHANGE MY MAPSET FREELY TO MY LIKING AT ANY MOMENT I DESIRE.

Now now, despite the fact that zep pool is the absolute best pool i've seen on faf the implementation of it was faulty and buggy. In concept its even better than it was in practice. And if this isn't enough, to make this system truly perfect there are 2 major improvements to make:

-Anti-repeat script which will prevent same maps popping up too much vs same opponent if your range of common maps is too tight.
-Veto system which will allow you to select maps you REAAAAAAAALLY don't wanna see.

On top of that the exact map picking script is up for discussion and polish (pick only commonly selected maps/pick random from one of the players' pool/one of these+chance for a random/a mix of any of those systems etc etc) which just proves what potential this system holds and how flexible it is.
It even will relieve Tokyto of his tedious duties of constantly changing pools. I haven't seen any actual arguments for why small pool is so great but here I tell you why zep pool is a goddamn blessing.

p.s. holy shit did you need to tilt me for me to write a serious forum message, gj
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Mad`Mozart » 08 Sep 2017, 15:13

Ok, i made a list by quickly scanning through the maps that i have.
Tried to pick only maps that were present in ladder for a longer time and/or recieved positive feedback from players. Excluded the maps with generally bad design or disgustingly fucked up terrain (like Open Zeta or Melancholy Hill). Can argue about that but imo we can live happily without that shit abominations (or remake them :roll: ).
So in total it resulted in 43 maps:

Spoiler: show
5km:
- Ambush Pass
- Canis
- Blasted Rock
- Crimson Feud
- Esgarthos Ruin
- Finns
- Theta
- Vale of Isis
- Williamson Bridge
- Winter Duel :D

10km:
- Abhor
- Better Isis
- Broken Vows
- Cobalt Valley
- Desert Planet
- Dirty Mounds
- Dry Canyon
- EOTS
- Farce in the Forst
- Niflheim
- Forbidden Pass
- Forgotten Facilities
- Badlands
- Hollow
- Last Oasis
- Loki
- Open Palms
- Red Rocks
- Regor
- Sleipnir
- Syrtis
- Craftius Maximus
- Twin Rivers
- Vulcan Reach
- Vya
- White Fire
- Badlands

20km:
- Pizza
- Pelagial
- Point of Reach
- Roanoke
- Sera Glaciers
- Bermuda

Then we have some questionable maps that were not popular enough, new, or have not your usual meta etc, Can easily add a bunch from this list to make the pool more diverse and to please the minority who liked those.
Questionable:
Spoiler: show
- Balmy
- Team canis
- Darozka
- Diversity
- THE DITCH
- Eridani
- Flooded Niflheim
- Icelands
- Haven Reef
- High Noon
- Ocil Wastelands
- Seraphim Outpost
- Souvenir
- The Dark Heart
- Triple T
- Wonder
- Z-D Rasty
- Chiron
- Madridia
- Fractal Cancer :DD
- X6
- (my maps that i gonna make/finish since i got the motivation for this game back)

Pretty sure i overlooked or forgot some maps that would make a decent addition. It wont be a 80 or 100 maps pool, yes, but we can sure manage at least 60.

EDIT speed2: I<3U
pls stop power abuse at once or i report
I know your heart is in the right place <3
just f*** off from my posts
Last edited by Mad`Mozart on 08 Sep 2017, 16:26, edited 5 times in total.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby speed2 » 08 Sep 2017, 15:56

Ive never felt so loved before, you're making me all emotional
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Mad`Mozart » 08 Sep 2017, 16:02

disgusting :x

ok i removed it to not make you feel delusional
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Morax » 08 Sep 2017, 17:21

Mozart, Balmy has some serious pathfinding issues.

The map is actually a fairly nice concept... I will fix this up when I return and perhaps it will be a viable option again.

As for Maridia and Octil.... Def not 1v1 maps.

Maridia is something I wanted to be a 1v1 and team map but you can't really make it both.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions