High rated players want to have fun too

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: High rated players want to have fun too

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 07 Sep 2017, 00:41

so there are quite a few issues here. Maybe do a poll like we did a long time ago where people vote which issues should be prioritized? Except this time, the poll goes on the What's New page which has been recently flooded by Yuri's tourneys.

Spoiler: show
Is playing ladder impossible because of technical difficulties? no. Are there maps there? yes. Can you play on them? certainly. What's the problem then?
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby Mad`Mozart » 07 Sep 2017, 00:50

Erich von Manstein wrote:so there are quite a few issues here. Maybe do a poll like we did a long time ago where people vote which issues should be prioritized? Except this time, the poll goes on the What's New page which has been recently flooded by Yuri's tourneys

There are no issues here, people should not be allowed to vote.
Its about the ~80 people that are listed in top 100 leaderboards and dont play or play a single game a month. Who should be voting and for what? Some 800 rated guy that says no its too hard for him to play any map bigger than 5km? Ladder should encourage people to show how good they are at this game, not to simply play more (they wont get good this way btw)
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby TheKoopa » 07 Sep 2017, 12:43

tho I'm only 1500 I do agree with mozart here, playing the same 4 maps over and over and over again is not my idea of appealing and I'm sure it's not for everyone else in top 100.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby keyser » 07 Sep 2017, 12:56

don't talk for the other thekoopa. k thx.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby PhilipJFry » 07 Sep 2017, 13:01

i thought we had 5 maps/pool
imho a bigger pool would be more fun especially for people who get fed up with little map diversity
if you like playing the same map over and over and over and over again you can do that in custom games
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby TheKoopa » 07 Sep 2017, 13:22

PhilipJFry wrote:i thought we had 5 maps/pool
imho a bigger pool would be more fun especially for people who get fed up with little map diversity
if you like playing the same map over and over and over and over again you can do that in custom games

Factor in "randomness" and it's more like 2 :DDDDDD
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Petricpwnz » 07 Sep 2017, 13:25

How about we sit down and consider for a second.

Big map pool aka zep map pool provided us with 80+ maps of which you could freely choose only the maps you want to play. And on an overlap with a generic ladder opponent it will check your commonly picked maps which will result in providing you with even less maps to play.

You want to know what my biggest complaint about big map pool was? TOO FEW MAPS! How, how how how how how how??? is? this?? "too many maps to learn"??? It will be a SMALL MAP POOL AND ONLY WITH THE MAPS !!!!YOU!!!! PICKED PERSONALLY!

Why do I want it then? Because when I'm bored out of my mind after playing same 5 maps vs one opponent I will wait for another guy to play with or GO AND CHANGE MY MAPSET FREELY TO MY LIKING AT ANY MOMENT I DESIRE.

Now now, despite the fact that zep pool is the absolute best pool i've seen on faf the implementation of it was faulty and buggy. In concept its even better than it was in practice. And if this isn't enough, to make this system truly perfect there are 2 major improvements to make:

-Anti-repeat script which will prevent same maps popping up too much vs same opponent if your range of common maps is too tight.
-Veto system which will allow you to select maps you REAAAAAAAALLY don't wanna see.

On top of that the exact map picking script is up for discussion and polish (pick only commonly selected maps/pick random from one of the players' pool/one of these+chance for a random/a mix of any of those systems etc etc) which just proves what potential this system holds and how flexible it is.
It even will relieve Tokyto of his tedious duties of constantly changing pools. I haven't seen any actual arguments for why small pool is so great but here I tell you why zep pool is a goddamn blessing.

p.s. holy shit did you need to tilt me for me to write a serious forum message, gj
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Mephi » 07 Sep 2017, 13:34

I have an even better idea !!!

We shut down all the servers and collect all da money of FAF.

Then we buy for all da money a ton of booze and hookers for the high rated players, so they can have some FUN.

After this immense party we can all mind our own business and never ever face this discussion again.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby speed2 » 07 Sep 2017, 15:48

speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Tokyto » 07 Sep 2017, 16:48

By the way, what maps would you pick for your 80+ pool? Currently i got 26 maps that i choose from. I'm slowly adding along the way, but i honesly doubt you can come up with more then 35. After that it's all going down the hill. (So basically i would get complains about shit maps being in the pool 24/7)
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions