Revert adding Energy Storage to PGen Hotbuild Bind?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Revert adding Energy Storage to PGen Hotbuild Bind?

Postby JoonasTo » 23 May 2017, 22:53

It's last in the list of pgens right?
I don't really see an issue then.

Though I don't really see a point in it being with pgens either. There's really no relation there. Maybe just replace mass storage with e-storage? No one should ever need to build mass storage by itself without a template. There's really no reason for it to have a slot in the basic hotbuild.

I've just got it bound to alt+c, a pretty inconvenient key as far as combinations go, even with the tilted keyboard like I use and I still have more keys to use, U and N are both empty but I use combinations so I've got keys for days
Spoiler: show
so I don't really care either way, *shrugs.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby prototype » 23 May 2017, 23:29

Icedreamer, if you could add some "spare" unit keys to build in faf hotbuild, then people can customize those keys and use them for whatever they want to using "hotbuildex".

Using new keys in hotbuildex do not work at game start without using F1 and closing the menu.
prototype
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby KeyBlue » 23 May 2017, 23:46

I recently made a mod where you can add customhotbuild keys.
People need to edit the lua files to add them though.
Original unitkeygroups

It does change your game.prefs file too, so its kinda an all or nothing thing at the moment.
Not using the mod after using it once, could cause issues when pressing the keys bound to the customhotbuildkeys.
(Probably not an issue, according too philips experience)
So if you don't know how to edit your game.prefs to remove the keybindings when you want to stop using them, you probably shouldn't use this.

This also isn't extensively tested so things can go horribly wrong.
BEWARE, USAGE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK
Attachments
CustomHotbuildKeys_v1.zip
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Last edited by KeyBlue on 23 May 2017, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby PhilipJFry » 23 May 2017, 23:50

didn't have any problems without the mod even when not remove keys from the mod while the mod wasn't active anymore
(the keys are still in the keybinding menu but they aren't mapped without the mod so i guess they just do nothing)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 24 May 2017, 02:13

There are already 4 hotbuild keys only used for units. You could add an entire line of buildings to them. I dunno why you would want to do that though, I'm mostly thinking about ways to reduce hotkeys.

[edit]It seems I misunderstood the last few posts, it seems you want more unit keys. I still don't know how anyone would want even more keys...

Adding T3 mobile AA would be nice though.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby PhilipJFry » 24 May 2017, 08:38

having a mod that adds more key is kinda nice because it doesn't change existing stuff but that's just personal preference
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby prototype » 25 May 2017, 22:47

As a reaction to keyblue:

Hotbuildex does exactly what your unitkeygroups aka hotbuildtab does.
If, however you add new "keys" to keyactions.lua you will notice those new keys do not work at game start.
prototype
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby KeyBlue » 25 May 2017, 22:54

prototype wrote:As a reaction to keyblue:

Hotbuildex does exactly what your unitkeygroups aka hotbuildtab does.
If, however you add new "keys" to keyactions.lua you will notice those new keys do not work at game start.

Well they do in my mod as far as I know.
Just add the new groups, start a game, setup the hotkeys and you're ready to go.
Next game everything will be setup already and you can just play.
KeyBlue
Priest

Postby Freedomfighter » 12 Jun 2017, 13:21

The problem with this change is that it goes against a lot of players muscle memory during the early stages.
A lot of team game players will build a hydro and then a line of pgens often with the same engineer. Previously this would be press the pgen key twice click, press it again click and drag.
Now you have to press twice the second time as well, since this is muscle memory people don't notice they have done something wrong until they are power stalling and have basically lost the game.

This can be seen in the game attached, top player does it. It was a GB 1v1 tourney game so I was in observers and it was decided that telling the player they had made that mistake was worth telling them because it was due to the game and they meant to build pgens, hence they only built 3 not however many it would have taken them to realise.

It has nothing to do with how often you use energy storage it is just needlessly breaking peoples play. Also I don't see why it was changed in the first place.
previously you could just add it to it's own key, and why did it have to be a key with buildings on it already, could have added it to the t1 mobile aa key or the upgrade key.

I'm all for adding energy storage to a hotbiuld key, just make it one that isn't going to ruin games or break peoples play.
Attachments
6341638-Freedom_.fafreplay
(40.55 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Freedomfighter

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: Freedom_

Postby KeyBlue » 12 Jun 2017, 14:42

I actually didn't know that was possible.
I thought the hotbuild resets after each time you build something. So you would have to click 3 times for e storage.

The way I do it (with my musclememory) I never click fast enough to go to e storage after hydro.
Which is why I was pro e storage on pgen keybind.
I assumed it was just something extra on the same button (so less buttons to learn) and would only cause fuckups for people who clicked their key too often.

If I had known about the possibility of clicking too fast after hydro to go to e-storage instead of pgen, I probably wouldn't have agreed to the change.
KeyBlue
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions