Revert adding Energy Storage to PGen Hotbuild Bind?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Revert adding Energy Storage to PGen Hotbuild Bind?

Postby speed2 » 21 May 2017, 07:43

PhilipJFry wrote:
JaggedAppliance wrote:Most people have e storage as a template so they would not save a key with this. You can also set energy storage as its own hotkey as well already.

you have any data to back that up?

My game.prefs with hotkeys and templates is shared among half of the [e] and they shared it with a lot of other ppl who asked how to set up hotbuld in the last 2 years. And E storage is in the template there.

Does that count as a data?
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby R_Charger » 21 May 2017, 08:27

I actually had a mod for this before it was introduced in the latest patch. I had to alter the mod to remove the extra e storage since I then had 2 mapped to F :o

When I first started using this mod I believe I built a line of e storages by accident once. It was mid-game and didn't cost me the game. After that I got used to it.

If this is upsetting people then better to revert I think - I'm not bothered as it seems pretty easy to mod the hotbuild menus to suit yourself.

Putting it on D ahead of the mass fabs (which are virtually never used) would probably be better (although I have support factories there!).
R_Charger

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Reckless_Charger

Postby Mad`Mozart » 21 May 2017, 08:53

PhilipJFry wrote:using one key just for the e storage is kinda dumb considering that you don't build them a lot

I have a key bound to E storage specifically since ages ago and used it very often in my games to build a storage for OC or couple more when i hit t2 power and eco.
Its kinda dumb making such statements being convinced everyone shares your opinion :roll:

I can see how you can not notice you selected storage instead of pgen and this little ninja change can really f*** your game up.
People already have the option to customize their hotkeys however they want. Reason for messing with hotbuild cause someone thought it would be useful (mostly for him?) seems like a huge load of bs to me.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby ZeRen » 21 May 2017, 09:16

why not give e storage into hot build to "upgrade" key? like I did in "Hotbuild Extra Buildings" mod

on that key is "upgrade" and "T3 transport and torp bomber" but no building
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby JaggedAppliance » 21 May 2017, 09:43

ZeRen wrote:why not give e storage into hot build to "upgrade" key? like I did in "Hotbuild Extra Buildings" mod

Yeah that's a good idea, a different hotkey like this would work better.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby PhilipJFry » 21 May 2017, 09:50

ZeRen wrote:why not give e storage into hot build to "upgrade" key? like I did in "Hotbuild Extra Buildings" mod

i don't really get it
what mod? what "upgrade"? can you explain to me what you mean?
edit: nvm found the thread you refer to
2nd edit: i took a look at that mod and please correct me if i'm wrong but afaict it basically does the same as the mod that keyblue made for me to remove the storage from the pgen hotbuild hotkey - which is overwriting existing keygroups to make existing hotbuild hotkeys build something different

i did talk some more to keyblue yesterday and he sent me another mod to create completely new hotbuild hotkeys to avoid destroying old ones i did some testing on it and will post the mod here later in case anyone is interested
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 21 May 2017, 12:07

This discussion made me think about my hotbuild layout. Since I don't know the standard layout by heart yet, I would like to change it.
Especially unit hotkeys could be improved imho. Something like edc for t1-3 main combat units, rfv for arty, subs, bombers, tgb for aa, yhn for scout, shields stealth and maybe extra units if they fit, ujm for raid units, hover and snipers.
First row (werty) for t1 units, second for t2 (sdfgh) and third for t3.

I am also thinking about switching buildings around a little. I rarely built any massfabs without templates, same for arty. So they should be on the farthest keys imho.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby PhilipJFry » 21 May 2017, 12:17

you can modify this mod or this one to edit existing hotbuild hotkeys keys to your liking.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 22 May 2017, 03:05

Thanks! I made a preliminary mod. The T3 mobile AA is not working yet, I might have gotten the wrong IDs. I'm too tired to fix it now though.

[edit] I deleted the last post because there was a really stupid question in there :) I would still appreciate any help with getting the T3 mobile AA to work.
Attachments
Better Hotbuild Layout.7z
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby PhilipJFry » 22 May 2017, 15:23

not sure how hotbuild grabs the unit ids it needs to work but there might be a problem with how it does and the fact that t3 mobile aa has been added to the game after the mod was made
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions