Nomads are back!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Nomads are back!

Postby TheKoopa » 17 May 2017, 14:38

I'm sorry I came to play Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance not Supreme Blackops: Revenge of the ACU

It should stay what it is now: a cool extra
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby biass » 17 May 2017, 14:45

nomads in the way of faction design reeks of amateurism, and most people will never see it as anything other then a mod

also the faction needs to be waay more balanced before people would even consider it

you don't need to try and defend "your mod" cookie, people are just giving opinions, not attacking you directly
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 17 May 2017, 16:14

i don't play nomads myself so i can only repeat what others eg Heaven say (and i trust him enough to have a decent opinion on it)
also i heard that some stuff (eg the ACU) will get a visual overhaul

at the end of the day it's the decision of Jagged and Icedreamer or even the entire council whether or not the Nomads mod should be part of the game and it shouldn't be pushed because random faf users demand it but when the project lead applies for it
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby FtXCommando » 17 May 2017, 18:06

The comparisons with Seraphim are completely dishonest. The central issue, at least for me, is that I came to play Forged Alliance. You can't compare the nomad faction to the situation between vanilla and FA because of the fact that the Seraphim were an established faction by the company that created the game. Nomads is an entirely user created faction and so is a totally different category from Seraphim. It would be like comparing a Star Wars game that began with the Republic and CIS, added an expansion with the Empire and Rebels, and using that expansion to justify the addition of some weird pirate faction that was created by some modders into the main game.

Nomads should not be rated just because lobbies with the mod don't fill. That's disgusting reasoning and I bet everyone in this thread knows what kind of salt that reasoning led to before.

The central argument: I don't want to see a new faction because I don't want a new faction. Don't really need to justify why the status quo should be maintained.

Quite frankly, such a large change is enough of a reason to create a mod that eliminates the faction or just quit faf altogether as the "forever" part no longer applies.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby BenDover » 17 May 2017, 18:47

If a mod is popular enough there will be players to fill the lobbies, why should there be an exception for this particular mod? The game should be as stock as possible, if I want a mod I'll install it myself.
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby H-master » 17 May 2017, 19:09

I would like to see them integrated. But only if they go through a very strict balance proces. As a long time SupCom player (even vanilla) I have seen how much the balance has improved over the years. I think the game is well balanced as it is now. Adding a new faction would of course be a challenge to the balance team. But I think it can be done, especially because I have seen what the balance team has done up until now.

About the current state of the Nomads I can't comment because I haven't play tested them a lot. The readability of the units could be a bit higher though, maybe that chances if I start to recognize the units more.

In any case, thanks for all the time you've spend making this faction.
H-master

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: H-master

Postby CSI » 17 May 2017, 19:12

BenDover wrote:If a mod is popular enough there will be players to fill the lobbies, why should there be an exception for this particular mod? The game should be as stock as possible, if I want a mod I'll install it myself.

Because this mod doesn't change the gameplay of people who don't choose the nomads.

And actually, there is no popular mod on FAF, I have never seen a Nomads or BO game which wasn't full of newbies. You all say it's not SCFA anymore but it is. You can say that for Total Mayhem or some other unbalanced unit pack but Blackops, BrewLAN and Nomads are more balanced than the original SCFA given by GPG. Thanks to all the FAF patches we have a quite balanced game but don't use "the developpers" as a graal. The only difference between GPG developpers and modders is that one is paid and not the other.

So start by joining Nomads games before classifying it as unbalanced.

What I suggest is to add it in the basegame, then add an option for the host to enable them or not, both cases being ranked.
CSI

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: CSI

Postby TheKoopa » 17 May 2017, 19:18

CSI wrote: Because this mod doesn't change the gameplay of people who don't choose the nomads.

Playing against them isn't a gameplay change yea
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby FtXCommando » 17 May 2017, 19:18

CSI wrote:
BenDover wrote:If a mod is popular enough there will be players to fill the lobbies, why should there be an exception for this particular mod? The game should be as stock as possible, if I want a mod I'll install it myself.

Because this mod doesn't change the gameplay of people who don't choose the nomads.

And actually, there is no popular mod on FAF, I have never seen a Nomads or BO game which wasn't full of newbies. You all say it's not SCFA anymore but it is. You can say that for Total Mayhem or some other unbalanced unit pack but Blackops, BrewLAN and Nomads are more balanced than the original SCFA given by GPG. Thanks to all the FAF patches we have a quite balanced game but don't use "the developpers" as a graal. The only difference between GPG developpers and modders is that one is paid and not the other.

So start by joining Nomads games before classifying it as unbalanced.

What I suggest is to add it in the basegame, then add an option for the host to enable them or not, both cases being ranked.

Pretty sure one of the litmus tests for a mod to be ranked is that it doesn't change gameplay to a significant degree. Since we have the categories for what is needed to rank a mod, please explain how blackops and nomads and these "more balanced mods" do not change gameplay to a signifcant degree.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby H-master » 17 May 2017, 19:30

I think this comes down to different visons for faf. Do we want to keep the game as it is now with minor but welcome improvements. Or do we want to add more content to the game.

I can see the appeal for both, but I lean more to gradually adding more content to the game. Only if this goes through a careful proces though.

I remember back in the day when Chris Taylor talked about adding three expansion packs to the game. We got Forged Alliance, the other two were scrapped.
The Nomads or other added content would feel for me as an expansion pack we never got.
Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 7

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=17241&p=172070#p172070
H-master

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: H-master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions