Nomads are back!

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Nomads are back!

Postby BenDover » 18 May 2017, 13:41

speed also said lobby colors are great and they will stay. Well, tough luck, fortunately someone in charge can read poll results.
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Gorton » 18 May 2017, 13:58

speed2 wrote:Our strategy isnt to keep FAF alive by not doing anything, but by adding a new content. And at some point it might be nomads as well.

New content ≠ better.
I like balance iteration, I like things like GW, COOP, tutorials etc.

I'm not explicitly against a new faction. I am however against the nomads in current form.
I'm not a fan of all the special units. I get that it's interesting and exciting, they're great concepts and implemented well. The problem is that there are many of them because all of those ideas got concentrated into one faction. I'm not a fan of how the few special units other factions had aren't special anymore.
I'm not a fan of "because we can, we should" essentially.

And as many people have said before, the nomads is content that already exists :/ it's not like it's a choice between not having it at all and integrating. People can use it as they like.

Adding them should be considered as just the same as adding new units or major balance changes.
I think you'd find a lot more support for reworking seraphim, or in fact all four factions somewhat than implementing nomads.

It may be for the best to split the topic.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby AdmiralZeech » 18 May 2017, 14:58

I think Nomads should be integrated eventually, if it continues to improve.

However, I don't think it should be integrated until it's so accepted and common that literally 100% of everyone is like, "Why isn't Nomads integrated yet??"

Kinda like Hotbuild. Or GAZ-UI, wink wink.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby speed2 » 18 May 2017, 15:22

BenDover wrote:speed also said lobby colors are great and they will stay. Well, tough luck, fortunately someone in charge can read poll results.

And they're getting back in the next patch with an option for you to turn it off. So they will stay.

I'm not explicitly against a new faction. I am however against the nomads in current form.

Why does everyone here assume its getting integrated right now? Even cookie told you its not gonna happen in days or weeks...
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby IceDreamer » 18 May 2017, 15:31

Enough. There are no plans to add Nomads in the near, medium, or seeable future. It's at least a few years out if ever, and needs a LOT of work and polish to even get close. Stop fretting.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Morax » 18 May 2017, 16:00

IceDreamer wrote:Enough. There are no plans to add Nomads in the near, medium, or seeable future. It's at least a few years out if ever, and needs a LOT of work and polish to even get close. Stop fretting.

Respect
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Morax » 18 May 2017, 16:05

speed2 wrote:Why does everyone here assume its getting integrated right now? Even cookie told you its not gonna happen in days or weeks...

I don't think we are assuming it will integrated now, but more that it will. Maybe some are but I think commando and I, for example, flat out don't want it to ever be in it.

Respect to cookie and all for their hard work, but when I talked to him about his passion and desire for that became obvious when he stated "This fifth faction is really what makes FAF stand out from steam version."

That is reason enough to be concerned if you are against the idea.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 18 May 2017, 16:28

IceDreamer wrote:Enough. There are no plans to add Nomads in the near, medium, or seeable future. It's at least a few years out if ever, and needs a LOT of work and polish to even get close. Stop fretting.

Well see that's different. The sudden influx of posts asking for integration, the lack of timetable followed by people saying the mod is "weeks off" from integration, and the plans for what would take place before integration made me think this was something we would be seeing this coming summer or something.

If it's still years away then I apologize for taking such an uncompromising stance at the present moment.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby IceDreamer » 18 May 2017, 17:44

Years away I can't say. What I can say is that I, personally, don't see it as being close to integrate-able. Not from a code perspective, not from a visuals perspective, not from a balance perspective, and not from a community acceptance and demand perspective.

Some will point to my enthusiasm for integrating some UI mods as evidence of hypocrisy, but that's not the same. Things like having keyboard-shortcut labels are just a thing all games should have. Hell, it's a thing build mode DOES have, and Hotbuild is basically build mode community edition. Something like Notify ticks all the boxes because team communication is something that needs to be made smoother. Queuing of ACU enhancements is LONG overdue. Being able to easily see what upgrades an ACU on your team has is just... better. Nomads doesn't fall under any of these considerations. It's not the same.

Obviously if/when life dictates I step down from the position of Game Councillor, that decision moves to whoever replaces me, and they might well have a different opinion. Nothing is really certain in a project as fluid as this. I just don't see myself deciding to push Nomads integration... Well, I don't see it.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 18 May 2017, 23:03

IceDreamer wrote:...

Very well, dear friend, you have eased my anxiety over this worrysome matter.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Previous

Return to General Discussions