Maybe its time to move the Ladder starting skill down.

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Maybe its time to move the Ladder starting skill down.

Postby lextoc » 26 Jan 2017, 19:04

This counts for global too. Lose once with your 0 rating and you go into negative, resulting in a lot of people not wanting you in their game.
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby biass » 28 Jan 2017, 08:08

progodlegend:
ok I can't get a damn ladder match

progodlegend:
third day in a row

progodlegend:
I'm convinced the feature doesn't work

[BAW]biassFA:
progodlegend 1st time playing?

progodlegend:
yes
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby progodlegend » 28 Jan 2017, 23:51

Hey that's me.

I just registered on forums to come post about how to get games and saw this thread.

I played FA way back in the day and just forgot about it, saw some friends on discord talking about FAF and they got me the link and I downloaded. I worked on my build order and tried to knock some rust off for a week vs. AI in solo matches, along with watching quite a few casts and replays, but wanted to try and play some players because vs. AI is really boring and it has it's limits. So far it seems like I have two options, wait for a ladder game, or join one of the lobby games. I couldn't get a ladder game as stated above, and most of the lobby games have a minimum ranking they are looking for. I finally found someone willing to let me join their Seton's match, in which I lost the middle pretty early cause I'm still really rusty, and that ended up being decisive and giving us the loss. Everyone was really nice about it, but now instead of saying Rank 0 with 0 games, it says Rank -100 with 1 game, so that's not really helping me get into any lobbys.

I've been online gaming for years in all kind of communities, and I've dominated my fair share of games, so I know how this goes early on when you're coming in late to a game that's been out a while, I don't mind. I'm just curious how best to build up experience in a very old advanced community like this where the meta is so developed, I was ok with having a shit 1v1 rating for a while if that's what it took, but I can't find any 1v1 games, and I feel bad trying to convince a bunch of high ranked players trying to have a fun match to let me unbalance one of their teams.
progodlegend

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: progodlegend

Postby keyser » 29 Jan 2017, 00:44

not sure why you can't get any ladder game. Usually that's an issue only for the top 10 player.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby progodlegend » 29 Jan 2017, 01:20

I'll try again primetime this weekend and just let it run and report results. I waited 15 minutes a few times but I'll see how long it takes this next time.
progodlegend

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 29 Jan 2017, 01:52

I sometimes also can't find a match. I've got a rating of 1400-1500. The main issue is that there are not enough players sometimes.

Yes, the way to solve that is by making ladder games more accessible. And it's simply unfair to let newcomers who don't know anything about reclaim and Intel, play against 1300 rated players, who do know about all that.

As for playing in team games, we should try to find a method of bringing in different maps. Gap, setonds and thermofail won't make you better at the game and will also not let you enjoy it more, but with the ruthless ejecting of new players, how can you possibly convince them to jump into the deep and have them play a team game on Open Palms, Burial Mounds or crossfire canal? You don't ever see those maps in team games and I like the maps because of how frantic it can get in 1v1. Team games should be more accessible there I think.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby progodlegend » 29 Jan 2017, 02:24

Just to report, sat in queue during primetime for about 6 minutes before getting a game. So it does work even if you have a -100 rank
progodlegend

Postby AdmiralZeech » 29 Jan 2017, 12:54

Maybe the way to go is to give players who enter ranked for the first time a choice: "Do you wish to start with the average rating? (And lose your way down if you are a beginner.) Or do you want to start with a low rating?"
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby ZeRen » 29 Jan 2017, 20:05

In teamgames is big problem to play some unusual maps, because noobs with rating 1200 and less play only regular maps(cannis,wonder,hilly,..) or turrtle maps (gap, termo,...) and only who play "new" maps are pros 1400+ and they dont like to play with 1200 and less

when I see gap, gap, setons, gap, gap, setons, termo and so on just makes me sad
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby JoonasTo » 29 Jan 2017, 22:39

Really, usually if I see an interesting map hosted it's "below 1000 noobs only" or something...

I just see canis and wonder and shit in my rank range xD
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions