automatch/ladder map pool (OUTDATED, SEE LINK)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: automatch/ladder map pool

Postby Morax » 01 Feb 2018, 22:37

Tokyto, I certainly agree that it is frustrating to find the ideal pool size, what maps people like, etc.

However, I think in your position it would help to test the maps in it a bit BEFORE putting them into the pool. Recent issues that have been discovered such as flooded niflheim having double reclaim, cold place having imba starts as one is closer to the reclaim, etc are the real damage-doers here.

Since there are folks willing to test things out, I think it might be nice to propose some maps that are new or uncommonly chosen to be played first. Ask me any time and I'll give a run through.

This also became apparent during one of the tourneys where you used farms map which had an issue and it caused people to load four corners.

Other than that I'm happy you are testing the pool size a couple more times. In my opinion the larger one will win popularity (this time around) but it's certainly worthy to play both some more.

In all seriousness good job on this decision.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 02 Feb 2018, 01:14

I also volunteer to playtest maps, just ping me in discord if I am not on FAF. Same nickname as here.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby This_Guy » 05 Feb 2018, 04:04

I would also like to say that the vast majority of people i know were very happy with the larger pool. Im surprised you changed it again so fast without asking. IMO people mostly already know their preference, prolonging the time before asking wont change many people's opinion.
This_Guy

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: This_Guy

Postby Oeterama68 » 12 Feb 2018, 13:07

I liked the big pool a lot more. I came back from a long break and was so happy to see it again, now I've barely played ladder because I don't like any of them and games get really boring when you're playing the same map multiple times and you don't even like the map. In big pool it wasn't that bad and I didn't feel like I have to learn specific BO for every map (even though I should but can get away with more generalized starts rather than map specific ones)
Oeterama68
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Oeterama68

Postby badfaf909 » 14 Feb 2018, 15:08

I have just logged on for "one of the few times in a long time" and a small map pool will 100% make me play this game again properly for the first time in years.

Back when i started playing supcom my occupation/lack of wife and child, allowed me the time to refine my build order on each map. And that makes such a HUGE difference to your success. Rescently I found this game totally unappraochable, because of the vast amount of differing build orders from so many maps. I guess that appeals to unemplyed people, or super experienced players. Imo if you want to attacked new players, bring back old ones, and maybe retain some casual ladder players keep the pool small.

The sheer amount of game/map knowledge required to play the ladder on faf is rediculas. Everytime i log on there is about 300-400 ppl online (my tz). I think a small map pool is the best thing i've seen to make that grow.
badfaf909

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: badfaf909

Postby TheKoopa » 14 Feb 2018, 17:56

So what you're saying is that you don't want to invest time into a game to get good?
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Mad`Mozart » 16 Feb 2018, 11:20

I see ladder's been popular as ever with that sudden small pool change (only to give people the taste of it again!)
All the replays i see when searching for 1800+ are people who i remember being in 1500-1800 group before. At least its good to farm the points it seems. Not a single "pro" name left.

If there was no competition in FAF before, now its negative Kappa
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Farmsletje » 18 Feb 2018, 22:32

Atleat make the tiny map pools last shorter for a bit more variance.

I only played 1 ladder game but i'm already bored of the map pool because i saw too many streamers play the same map over and over again
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Tokyto » 19 Feb 2018, 23:24

Dear Ladder Warriors,

following the plan, next 3 weeks will be dedicated for the bigger map pool again (consisting of 30 maps).

Also, in the following 3 weeks a poll will be active where you can vote for your favourite pool. You can find it here: https://goo.gl/yJ5Jry (What's New page post soon(tm))

-NEW MAP POOL-

5x5
Theta passage
Canis river
Varga Pass
Crimson Feud
Desert Joust
Firelight
Esgaroth's Ruins
Fields of Thunder v2

10x10
loki
8 - Badlands_v4
Four-leaf clover
Open Palms
On Melancholy Hillv3
Red Rocks
Balmy
TAG_Craftious Maximus
Arctic refuge
Niflheim - Final II v2
Saltrock colony
Fields of isis
White Firev2
Vya-3 Protectorate
Volcano Duel
Standing Stones

20x20
Point of Reach v4
The Ditch
Emerald crater
Setons Clutch
Pelagial v2
Seraphim glaciers

Lastly, thanks for all the feedback i got from you guys (both forums and PMs)!

Tokyto
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

Postby Evan_ » 19 Feb 2018, 23:45

my goodness. Varga pass, Vya-3, Sera Glaciers, AND the ditch! I love it.

Niflheim is good too. Gonna play twice as much ladder!
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions