automatch/ladder map pool (OUTDATED, SEE LINK)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: automatch/ladder map pool

Postby partymarty81 » 16 Mar 2017, 18:27

Tokyto/Heaven - great job on the dual casts..... perhaps if you get time in your hectic schedules you can do a new ladder map release preview video of each map, with a quick run down on different tactics/approaches to note for each new map?
partymarty81

Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: partymarty81

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 17 Mar 2017, 00:46

Thanks for the fix Morax.

I now have another request and this one probably makes *some* sense.

Roanoke is not symmetrical. Now it doesn't really matter because it's balanced, but it's also annoying to end on the bottom spot and suddenly you have mexes in a different location.

There is a symmetrical roanoke, one with less annoying heightmap (those rock hills/plateaus on both sides of the island), which is always used for phantom (bunnyroanoke).

Why not use that one in the ladder instead?
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Mad`Mozart » 17 Mar 2017, 20:31

Since my very close friend Tokyto_ gave green light, i've redone (reraped) Z-D Rasty map once again into Z-D Rasty Lite now with only 4 players, less mex/hydro (rebalanced as well) and new cool terrain! Any feedback appreciated, can make more ez changes for it to be a better 1v1 map.

Now waiting for my very close friend Tokyto_ to check and approve it and switch the maps in the current rotation :roll:
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 18 Mar 2017, 00:44

Souvenir: on the left-hand side, the middle group of 4 mexes (i.e. middle spawn point). The top left mex should be half a mex-sized square higher (that's a full unit in the SupCom map editor). It's breaking the double adjecency on one side of those 4 mexes.

I'll have a look at Z-D rasty. My biggest issue with it is that while there are plenty of mexes, there is the possibility of ending with a complete screw-up that will leave you with 60 mass less than your opponent despite the fact that you're sure you've been eco-ing right, and the fact that there's no possible recovery from that.

But it may be just me with the feeling that my opponents always manage to spam AND eco AND expand with engineers very quickly.

Still, I'm afraid that a Z-D Rasty lite will be even worse in that way. Kind of like what happened to X6 (from a decent ability to eco up and get a good spam going on to no option of doing that at all).

And now I'm going to have a look at it :)

EDIT: based on the quick look I've taken, I think this may work about as well, but I'd definitely not put this one in in between regular rotations.

Maybe put the hydro a bit closer to the starting position, because you've only got three mexes to start with. Speeds it up for the ACU.

EDIT2: on Souvenir, several mexes are not aligned to the grid, so you weird looking icons for mass spots below the mexes. Easy to check by hovering over the mass spots with a mex build order.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Mad`Mozart » 18 Mar 2017, 11:15

Plasma_Wolf wrote:I'll have a look at Z-D rasty. My biggest issue with it is that while there are plenty of mexes, there is the possibility of ending with a complete screw-up that will leave you with 60 mass less than your opponent despite the fact that you're sure you've been eco-ing right, and the fact that there's no possible recovery from that.

But it may be just me with the feeling that my opponents always manage to spam AND eco AND expand with engineers very quickly.

Still, I'm afraid that a Z-D Rasty lite will be even worse in that way. Kind of like what happened to X6 (from a decent ability to eco up and get a good spam going on to no option of doing that at all).

Yeah number of mexes was too much i agree. So now people should not be able to spam, eco and expand at the same time hopefully :)
It has only 7 mexes and reclaim in the starting position, and about 7 more when you grab the expansion across the river. Then there are only contested expansions. While on, say, twin rivers there are 20 mexes waiting for you just in all 3 spawn positions which you pretty much wont lose once you grabbed them.

PS X6 was a terrible map to begin with imo :roll:
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Heaven » 20 Mar 2017, 00:56

partymarty81 wrote:Tokyto/Heaven - great job on the dual casts..... perhaps if you get time in your hectic schedules you can do a new ladder map release preview video of each map, with a quick run down on different tactics/approaches to note for each new map?

soon™
Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby Nexus_of_Reality » 22 Mar 2017, 19:11

Should ladder consist of only ~5 maps so that players gain a better understanding and skill of how a few maps should be played?
The current state of ladder is mostly improvisation and many many fails. With a smaller mappool, I think we could see some higher quality games and more interesting metas develop on new and original maps. Maybe make the map rotation more frequent as well to keep things interesting (if this does happen)?

Blodir has been suggesting it for a long time, and it would be interesting to try at least, so I made this poll :D

http://www.strawpoll.me/12584894
Nexus_of_Reality

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Nexus_of_Reality

Postby CrazedChariot » 22 Mar 2017, 19:37

Id be curious if more people would play the pool was 3 maps or so per week. Rotates once a week.

I much prefer learning the maps, as i think it makes for much better games when both players are familiar with map dynamics and Build orders.
CrazedChariot
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: CrazedChariot

Postby Iszh » 22 Mar 2017, 20:27

lets make 1 map per day or half a map per hour ... :ugeek:

i want mmooooooaaaahhh maps not less. but at least i can tell you i would not stop to play ladder when you do 3 per week since i am already not playing because mappool is to small.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby biass » 23 Mar 2017, 02:49

You know if you had conveyed your negative feedback about CW to the correct person (me) it could have been worked on

oh well.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions