automatch/ladder map pool

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Announcement about the map rotation on automatch

Postby Morax » 05 Feb 2016, 15:22

Mad`Mozart wrote:Here's a better solution for you all.
Instead of shaking the air with all your brilliant ideas, chip in some bucks to pay whoever will code new ladder.

Or also can host some charity tourney with some features to choose from for the winner, where prize money go to coder person instead.

Throwing money at people won't generate a solution, just influence whatever is taking place to keep on taking place.

We were asked by Zock about feedback on the ladder's past and what we want to see going forward. No one started this topic out of pure spite.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Mad`Mozart » 06 Feb 2016, 07:07

Morax wrote:Throwing money at people won't generate a solution, just influence whatever is taking place to keep on taking place.

We were asked by Zock about feedback on the ladder's past and what we want to see going forward. No one started this topic out of pure spite.

Oh yeah? Well then i suggest you to look back at how many topics like this were started out of pure spite. Were quite a few. And people still post their ideas and opinions on changing how ladder works while Zock asked for feedback on map pool if im not wrong.

I've been trying to make some changes happen to ladder for a long time which was especially hard since i have 0 coding skills. And it literally comes down to this - there is just noone to do it. Sheeo is busy doing whatever else is on his priority list and i know for sure that ladder is somewhere down below. Afaik there are other people with enough skills that could sit down and learn some more stuff and code it, but they have no reason or motivation.

So yeah, i believe throwing money to pay for someone's time and effort coding it for you is actually a solution (whereas simply discussing stuff over and over is not). That's how its done in the outside world after all. Ofcourse you can suggest something better and if it works, why not? And can always learn to code yourself, but that dont really worth it.

Oh and afaik Zock's been trying to push some ladder rework for a while now with no success (which i find kinda strange since he is balance councilor).
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Sir Prize » 06 Feb 2016, 09:07

Mozy, I don't quite understand why you're raging at people who are just making suggestions for whenver there is an appetite for a bigger rework. No harm in it, and Zock just reworked ladder by the look of it in the OP of this thread, so things do happen.

The other good reason for people to talk about this is that people can change their minds when people are well-reasoned. I used to think we should have a big pool and just not change the old system, but Blodir changed my mind in one of these map pool threads and now my personal preference is completely different. And I don't think Zock is trying to shut debate down here, just manage expectations:
Zock wrote:Hi,

Feel free to discuss different map pool systems, but please keep in mind that without anyone to implement them, we can only do so much. And that this is about the third thread of everyone pointing out their favourite fantasy concept in lengthy posts.
not "please stop posting long-winded fantasies that I, or whoever's in charge, will never read and will never influence anything".

For what it's worth, Sheeo told me a couple of months ago that any rework is easy to do once whoever was in charge of it was happy with a new proposed format, but obviously not during a massive server change, so it won't happen today. I meant to post this last time, and to say that there shouldn't be a problem with people offering ideas and debating them so that Zock/TA/whoever has them written down, but the forum ate my post.

Ninjaing to say I like Zock's map pool. My main edit would be Syrtis over Vya, as Syrtis can have more variety between equal players, but I don't really care.
Last edited by Sir Prize on 06 Feb 2016, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Postby Blodir » 06 Feb 2016, 14:52

I dislike Rumble In The Jungle
- It looks like a throbbing cancer
- Hidden Reclaim under trees (this is the main reason)
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Zock » 07 Feb 2016, 11:32

Keeping syrtis and kicking Rumbe out then.

5x5
theta
cobalt (10x10 but has 5x5 gameplay)
crimson feud (short rotation)

10x10
badlands
loki
niflheim
palms
syrtis
twin Rivers
vya
eots
artic (short rotation)

20x20
crossfire (1 of the 3 short rotation)
bermuda
roanoke

out:
regor
monaki
pyramid
serenity
schloob/Rumble in the Jungle

in:
eots
cobalt valley
arctic
roanoke
crimson
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Apofenas » 07 Feb 2016, 14:17

Don't touch Shloob10. This map is far better than any of 10x10 maps in previous post. Once map vault is fixed i will upload my version without off-map/undeground reclaim and better mountains.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 09 Feb 2016, 00:17

Please don't stop, continue this thread for my entertainment.
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Postby Hascins » 09 Feb 2016, 12:54

I'm still waiting for the news post about why TA resigned and what's up next.
Hascins
Contributor

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Hascins

Postby Kalvirox » 09 Feb 2016, 14:26

Part of the follow up is to vote a new player councillor. Of which I am interested in applying for. We won't talk about what I want to do on this thread... we can do this closer to the time since the main priority Atm is to fix any remaining server bugs.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Postby Morax » 09 Feb 2016, 16:03

Zock,

What do you want the responsibilities, or rather, what should they be for the next "player councilor?"

Kal,

I believe TA quit because all of his ideas and requests were never met since everyone on the dev team are busy elsewhere. I think it became obvious that it was a "complaint bin" position that had no power other than to forward them to people who can change things.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions