automatch/ladder map pool

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

automatch/ladder map pool

Postby Zock » 03 Feb 2016, 22:43

--CURRENT MAP POOL--

5×5:
break V2
projekt_I
Summer Duel
Crag dunes

10×10:
Sleipnir
Saltrock Colony
High Noon
Forgotten Facilities
Dusty Mounds
White Fire
Hollow
Four-Leaf Clover
Goodlands

20×20:
x6
Point of Reach
Desert Planet II XL

Maps removed:

Canis River
Sentry point
Forbidden Pass
Desert Planet II
Regor VI Highlands
Emerald Crater
Last edited by Zock on 24 Oct 2016, 15:57, edited 9 times in total.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Re: Announcement about the map rotation on automatch

Postby EcoNoob » 03 Feb 2016, 23:38

Roanoke should stay permanently in my opinion, but what happened to the crazyrush idea? Also I really dont like this "Change maps less often", ladder is already boring with the same maps over and over again and this isnt helping..
EcoNoob

Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 70 times
FAF User Name: EcoNoob

Postby yorick » 04 Feb 2016, 00:21

i like the pool in general i.e. i like or atleast dont mind all of the maps apart from artic and crossfire canal.
I'm not quite sure about the system tho, it will be impossible to find 12 maps that are just as good as the current long term rotation imo ( also that would require to remove palms loki etc ? ). Finding 6 maps might be possible without a huge loss in quality.
Regarding the 20x20 maps i would favour bermuda for the long term and to crossfire canal in the short term rotation ( to get rid of this map faster :D ).

PS: with the client update the mappick window got removed, currently there is no in-client way to see the ladder mappool ? :?

Spoiler: show
i miss regor already, was one of my favorite maps if not my favorite one
yorick

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: yorick

Postby TheKoopa » 04 Feb 2016, 00:22

I would take out Twin Rivers and Badlands (they are both very overplayed, and are cancerous turtle maps) and put in Esgaroth's Ruins and Tabula (back vs. back)

I tried out tabula 1v1 some time ago and it is quite fun actually. And yes, I know Esgaroth's is 5x5.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby ZLO_RD » 04 Feb 2016, 00:28

I kinda dislike how it all was going with all the player feedback and all the personal opinions of players on the forums that TA was listening to.
"Map %mapname% should stay cause it is gut/classic/obviusly good"

Suggesting totally new maps that should be considered as maps for 1v1 ladder is good,
but adding maps based on opinion/desire/request of 1-2 players is lame imho...

I really wish we could utulise voting system that already exists in FAF lobby:

Have a map pool, replace maps that don't get selected with new maps, (maybe)reset selection so players will forced to re-think their map choice and notice that new map is there

Voting does not affect chance of getting a map
But maps with least amount of votes will get removed on next rotation.

Council maybe should have a right to remove certain maps that are similar to each other (i like point of reach, roanoke, sera glaciers, and that blodir's navy map, they all played a bit different but still have similar layout of a navy map with islands... And i know not everyone likes them so having 3-4 of them at the same time might be to much
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby VioletAnia » 04 Feb 2016, 00:29

I personally think roanoke is the only good map out of the 20x20s. I can't decide if crossfire or burmuda is worse! >.<
Also if you're thinking about a 4th 5x5 i think summer dual is a cute map.
Just my 10 cents but i think some maps chosen are way too pro friendly? Or rather a bit harsh on normal/newer players? I realize that ranked isn't for newbies, but for less seasoned players/normal players, if the maps weren't as crazy hard *cough burmuda and crossfire*, it might encourage more people to play ranked which might get more people into competitive 1v1s/joining tournys later on etc? Anyways, imo, gl!!!! <3
VioletAnia

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: VioletAnia

Postby Zock » 04 Feb 2016, 00:34

Good points ZLO, and there were always more things planned and many ideas for different system, but that requires coding and until someone finds time to work on it we have to work with what we have. :/

Just my 10 cents but i think some maps chosen are way too pro friendly? Or rather a bit harsh on normal/newer players? I realize that ranked isn't for newbies, but for less seasoned players/normal players, if the maps weren't as crazy hard *cough burmuda and crossfire*, it might encourage more people to play ranked which might get more people into competitive 1v1s/joining tournys later on etc? Anyways, imo, gl!!!! <3

I agree this are hard maps, especially for newer players, and one of them will likely change in 2 weeks, but this are only 2 out of 15 maps. What other maps are not newbie friendly? 20x20 Maps are generally harder to play, that's why we have only 3 of them for the moment, but we have to give something to the people who like them too.

Ranked should not try to favor new players, "normal" players or "pros" but try to be as appealing to all groups as possible. Unfortunately this also means compromises need to be made and all groups need to deal with some of the preferences of the other group.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby biass » 04 Feb 2016, 01:42

I'll have some go at a navy nap as soon as i finish what i am currently working on
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Apofenas » 04 Feb 2016, 01:53

Get old system with huge map pool back, but give 50/50 chance to get map from your map pool/your opponent's map pool. No problem with changing pool "too often". No problem with map desires.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby theeggroll » 04 Feb 2016, 05:28

I was actually about to type out what apof said before I scrolled all the way to the bottom. The old system was really good overall with one major flaw that caused it to be trashed; the fact that several maps got picked over and over again, and they all seemed to be 5x5. Personally I thought the new way we do ladder just intensified the problem of getting the same maps over and over again, Except now ladder offers "better" maps to play over and over again. IMO we need a big map pool again with the option to select maps and the system does like 33% chance of picking map you like, 33% chance of picking map opponent likes, and 33% chance of random map. With a big but consistent pool, ladder whores will get some diversity but still get to play their favorite maps. While people who liked the 5x5's or other particular maps have a better chance of getting the maps they like, giving us a ladder that is competitive but still upholds the most important part of games; having fun. As it is I personally hate playing ladder because the maps are so repetitive and I don't enjoy most of the maps that get selected.
GMT - 6 http://spooky.github.io/unitdb/#/
When in doubt, Blame Gorton
theeggroll
Priest

Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 98 times
FAF User Name: theeggroll

Next

Return to General Discussions