Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edition is a good map

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edition is a good map

Postby BrickedKeyboard » 22 Jan 2016, 02:09

It feels like a well balanced teamplay map.

The problem with Setons is that it's not really a 4v4. It's four separate 1v1s, and if one of your teammates fails to do their job and secure their part of the battle, you're probably going to lose. The bases are so far apart that every player is isolated and the large distances make air dominant.

Dual Gap is sort of like a chokepoint fight, but there's an open land play area where you fight it out in the open for a large amount of mexes, but not so many it's a guaranteed loss if you lose them. It has strategically placed reclaim. The front-most player on each team gets first access to a large pile of rocks right at the front, giving them something to compensate for the dangers of being in the front.

And the Tropical Resort Edition includes a large enough area of water that you can send destroyers and battleships to help out in the middle mex fight, yet the narrow chokepoints into each base mean that battleships are not dominant like they are on almost every other navy map.

All the player's main bases are located close together so you can pool SAM coverage making bombers not be dominant. There's 6 players on each team and 3 main objectives (2 groups of mexes and the water), so there's lots of overlap between players so you actually fight as a team and not as 6 separate 1v1s.

What do you all think? I just found out about the map today. It seems to play really well, and I've noticed that Dual Gap is beginning to take over in terms of games being hosted.
BrickedKeyboard
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: PlayerY

Re: Dual Gap EP Tropical Paradise Resort Edition is a good m

Postby speed2 » 22 Jan 2016, 02:13

I have to admit I haven't tried it yet, cause I'm very sceptical to anything that has "gap" in the title
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby TheKoopa » 22 Jan 2016, 02:58

Not gonna lie, with a little bit of cleaning up, it can be a great map
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby biass » 23 Jan 2016, 01:43

Hello! I am biass, the creator of the edit under request of a guy called GurnBiscuit.

I just wanted to say that this post made my day <3 But if you have any suggestions, feel free to drop a pm and i can try to include them. :)

Just remember that "duel gap" is not my original map, and if you have any ideas to ask KD7BCH

Thanks again :D
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby BrickedKeyboard » 23 Jan 2016, 03:09

Good job on the edit. Removing that wasted space that was only useful for tac missile cheese at the north and south is an improvement. The bigger body of water so you can add ships is another nice improvement.

I did wonder if maybe the main river should have been widened instead so you can send ships right into the middle of the map. That might have been interesting.
BrickedKeyboard
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: PlayerY

Postby KD7BCH » 27 Jan 2016, 11:21

You fuckers have got to be kidding me. FFS
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 27 Jan 2016, 11:52

For the people that hadn't heard of it yet, such as me.

I don't really see how it compares to Setons, because that map allows you to wreck bases from the ocean. The navy on dual gap seems to have no purpose other than aiding the fight in the middle or maybe launching missiles over the mountains? But dual gap fits well into the theme of closed off maps like thermo and gap, which are quite popular after all.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby Iszh » 27 Jan 2016, 14:44

Yes this map is the mother of all maps definately and worth a strategic discussion while comparing to seton. They are so similar. Green landscape and a bit of water and so on.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby KD7BCH » 09 Feb 2016, 15:00

I quit the game and now you bitches play my map. LOL the irony :) Hope yall enjoy it. Feel free to make any changes you like.
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby briang » 09 Feb 2016, 20:19

BrickedKeyboard wrote:The problem with Setons is that it's not really a 4v4. It's four separate 1v1s, and if one of your teammates fails to do their job and secure their part of the battle, you're probably going to lose. The bases are so far apart that every player is isolated and the large distances make air dominant.

As a blanket statement that doesn't really work. If you cap the rating range for Seton's games that statement covers to a maximum of 1200 then it most certainly works. Part of the jump from mediocre to decent Seton's player is realizing that it simply isn't 4 1v1s and that just winning your match-up isn't always good enough.

Onto the topic of the map: It doesn't seem awful to me and it doesn't seem fantastic. It might be more attractive to me as a 3 player/team map perhaps.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Next

Return to General Discussions