Downlord's FAF Client

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Downlord's FAF Client

Postby Nojoke185 » 01 Aug 2015, 22:20

that worked - thanks
Nojoke185
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Nojoke

Postby tatsu » 01 Aug 2015, 23:21

Nojoke185 wrote:trying the new version (dfaf_windows_0_4_6-alpha.exe) here and it doesnt let me login (had same prob with previous version)

mine works just fine. you must always uninstall the older one first.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Downlord » 02 Aug 2015, 01:23

This will get fixed along with the implementation of the client auto-update.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby Downlord » 23 Aug 2015, 22:09

Version 0.4.7-alpha is available: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... t/releases

• Games can now either be displayed as tiles or in a table (selection not yet saved)
  • Using CPU to render the UI to avoid lagging if GPU is under heavy load
  • New font rendering to avoid sub pixel rendering issues
  • Improved navigation; Dropdown tabs allow more views without having too many tabs
  • Improved game detail, allowing to "click on map" to see an even larger preview (still ugly)
  • 35% Test coverage, making the client more reliable and maintainable

Remember that you may need to uninstall the previous version first. This will hopfefully be fixed soon.
I'm going to make one release every 2 weeks from now on. v0.4.8-alpha is scheduled on September 6, 2015.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby rxnnxs » 03 Sep 2015, 22:52

Thank you so much for this work!
in no doubt it serves all of us well.

Another reason why i am writing this is:
From Page 1 on, I was astonished how civilized and constructive all were talking to another.
This is the spirit, this is how it is done the right way!

ahem, pushed it (third reason to write this)!
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby d-_-b » 05 Sep 2015, 19:49

Hey, been testing this as my normal faf client is totally scrwed at the moment (once again, crash in qtgui4.dll, but totally unrealted to that, and ZERO error information to even begin to track it down, yay, NO its not the same ssl dll problems as before...)

Anyway, some feedback.
  • You said you changed to using CPU rendering to prevent drawing lag when the gpu is under load, well... now it just has super slow laggy drawing ALL THE TIME. i suggest going back to gpu acceleration, or at least having the option.
  • The custom games list does not work properly. I have hosted a game myself, and it has shown up temporarily, then disappeared, somebody joined, but it also apparently disappeared from the normal clients view, as nobody could see my game up. I could not see it myself. Also, games that i know are being hosted (by say ppl on mumble) can not show up, and i have to restart the client get a new list. LIKEWISE, old stale games that have long since been launched etc remain on the list, it slowly fills up over time.
  • Hide private games does nothing
  • Tiled layout does not work at all, the button does nothing
  • Username in top right, does start off showing d-_-b, but at some point ends up replaced with "username"
d-_-b

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: d-_-b

Postby Aulex » 06 Sep 2015, 06:47

Can you post your logs
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Downlord » 06 Sep 2015, 08:47

hi, thank you for your feedback! I'll release today, some of your issues should be solved.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Downlord » 06 Sep 2015, 14:17

Version 0.4.8-alpha is available: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... .4.8-alpha

@d-_-b
Would you mind to verify which of your issues are still valid?

Hope you enjoy. And as always, feedback appreciated.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby d-_-b » 06 Sep 2015, 17:00

048a.

Bugs/Changes
  • Show Private Games toggle now functions.
  • IRC appears to no longer work.
    Specifically, it seems just to not render text. If i send my IRC a PM, i see it, and send a PM back, i hear the beep, the PM tab comes up, but see no message rendered.
  • Community page shows nothing.
  • Rating graphs work now.
  • Tiled/List view on custom games works.
  • Custom games now seem to update correctly.

Suggestions
  • Inability to see game quality is a bit of a missed feature, considering that lobby has been broken in this regard for over a month... :\
  • If all IRC tabs are closed, there is nowhere to type to /join a channel again. maybe if i PMd myself i would get a new tab i which to do it.
  • I have had the client sieze up rendering very slowly, using 100% of a single thread, not sure what caused it, will see if it happens again
  • Really would like GPU acceleration enabled again, or available as a choice. maximising the window takes 2-3 seconds to redraw... scrolling is very slow, and chews enormous amounts of CPU.
will update as i find things, i can't test whether the custom games tab is still showing all games/stale games until i can get on mumbl with someone
d-_-b

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: d-_-b

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions