Downlord's FAF Client

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Downlord's FAF Client

Postby BenDover » 29 Jun 2015, 03:16

Wow this is amazing, how could I have missed this? I think I'll be sticking with this from now on it just looks so much better and finally a list based games browser, not the awful grid design. And the option to hide private games.. pure genius. Excellent work.
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby pza » 29 Jun 2015, 12:41

Downlord wrote:Image

now i am eternal! 8-)

i think i'm gonna start using the alpha already as standard. this way i'll be complaining more, that means i'll be cracking the whip on you to sort out possible bugs, downy :D

edit:
important stuff:
- "create game" is not working yet, right?
- autoupdater! :)

- would be nice to see players ranks when you click on a game. also maybe display a rank range, that u can see before clicking in. this way you wont have to click on every single game that hasnt got rank restrictions in the name to see if its a game for you.
- vault is not yet super inviting. im sure you gonna do something there. maybe too many tabs and undertabs. for example, you have to close "local replays" to be able to see online ones. also no live replays yet.
- i like the rank ladder, but if anyone is against that, i'd be happy to hear the arguments why.
- mouseovers explaining what is the difference between rating & ranking in one sentence?

thats it for now.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby Downlord » 29 Jun 2015, 15:20

pza wrote:create game" is not working yet, right?

It is, but only if your last game on FAF was non-modded (I think).

pza wrote:autoupdater! :)

For the lobby, the game or the mods? Game/mod is currently blocked by the upcoming server release (they're changing the way it's done, so makes no sense to implement the current protocol for remaining 4 weeks). Client auto-update will come.

To everything else; It's alpha. a lot is not yet done, a lot is just "prove of concept". Please keep that in mind.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby Mad`Mozart » 04 Jul 2015, 07:34

Any chance your client could have this?
/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9601
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Downlord » 04 Jul 2015, 12:18

That's super easy
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Downlord » 11 Jul 2015, 13:40

Version 0.4.3-alpha is available: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... t/releases

Caveat: Updating the current installation didn't work for me. So you may need to uninstall any older version first.

Chat improvements
  • Clan channels are now joined automatically
  • Friends/Foes can now be added/removed (Context menu for foes has a bug however)
  • 90 and 365 days statistics can now be displayed
  • URLs in Chat can be previewed (not yet where I want it to be, but it's a start)
  • Images can be pasted into the chat; it is then uploaded to imgur and you'll get its link

The client can now read and play online and local replays (Replays using mods or another FA version do not yet work, same reason as why mod games don't work yet)

General improvements
  • Fixes in proxy code
  • "Ladder" is now called "Leaderboard" again
  • Warning when player ranking is out of game bounds (guessed based on game title, until server side support). Rating will be rounded to 100 in next release.

Hope you enjoy. And as always, feedback appreciated.
Last edited by Downlord on 21 Jul 2015, 18:57, edited 3 times in total.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Downlord » 12 Jul 2015, 21:44

Hotfix release: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... t/releases

* Game info weren't updating

This is now under test to prevent regression.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby PopSniper » 15 Jul 2015, 19:27

What would be super cool is a new version of Forged Alliance, one that supports multiple cores. Don't know how hard that would be since I'm not a programmer, just a lowly PhD in physics. Also not sure about the rights to the game...is the game in the public domain or is it owned by some company? If yes, would they allow a moding community to redo the game in a fashion similar to Black Mesa. And finally, would anyone in the community be interested in doing it. But the community has been patching the game for several years now, so a multithreaded version could be put up as just another mod.
PopSniper
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: PopSniper

Postby Downlord » 15 Jul 2015, 20:49

This client has nothing to do with the game engine, and the game engine cannot be modifed by us ;-)
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Lionhardt » 16 Jul 2015, 22:21

You know what would be just so great, if your client had it? A map-auto-updater. When somebody selects a map to host, it will consult the map vault for whether this is the newest version of the map, and if not prompt the host with a suggestion now auto-update that map.

This way we'd get finally rid of the issue of outdated versions of maps still being played over newer once, that probably contain balance and bug fixes...
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt