Downlord's FAF Client

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Downlord's FAF Client

Postby Blodir » 23 Jun 2015, 08:25

3200x1800 250% DPI scaling

Don't worry too much though, don't think there's many people who would actually play the game on 3k laptop displays, but figured I will show it anyway since someone else did so above

I have yet to find a program that works properly with so much dpi scaling
Attachments
downlordfafclientdpisclaing.png
downlordfafclientdpisclaing.png (565.01 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby pza » 23 Jun 2015, 08:59

some quick questions before i g2g (didnt download the client yet, gonna do this evening):
a) chat still not viewable while browsing other tabs? like can u attach it to the side or openable as separate window?
b) can you make the map/mods used in an open game be downloadable directly from the games tab instead of just on join? this way i don't have to exit my current lobby where i'm waiting in, to download maps i currently see people playing on. switching to vault and searching for the map is also not necessary then.

edit: not sure if question b) is clear enough: i can imagine a button or right-click option "download map" on a open game in the games tab. makes life a bit easier.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby Downlord » 23 Jun 2015, 11:54

pza wrote:a) chat still not viewable while browsing other tabs? like can u attach it to the side or openable as separate window?

Not yet but we'll do that.
pza wrote:b) can you make the map/mods used in an open game be downloadable directly from the games tab [...]

Maps definitely, mods.. it depends. If I'm not mistaken the current system always overwrites the "current" mod when joining a game with a different (featured) mod.
Is this because you have slow internet and you'd like to download these things while waiting? Since downloading a map on join takes only 1s over here :)
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby Exotic_Retard » 23 Jun 2015, 11:56

yay! client!
i like it!

however, as always i have feedback on how it looks:
Spoiler: show
first off, i like the background and think that it could be used very effectively to create a "light wight" look, by using transparency and thin lines effectively.
this is a section of the chat - as you can see - a significant portion of my screen is just stripes.
1. the stripes type in find games is much better
2. you dont really need stripes in the chat imo
3. i want colored names :DD

the top menu bar looks good.
so why do the tabs below it look like that?

imo you are much better off with transparent/translucent buttons and very thin dividers

same goes here, the tree tabs (not sure what to call them)
would look nicer if they were less "chunky"

in general i think its best to avoid large blocks of the same color, and use a texture instead, or a gradient at least (still not as good as texture)
because the empty chat atm looks like this: Image

and it could look like this (which i think is much better): Image

Having said all that, please dont take this in a negative way. your client already looks much better than the default faf one, and i only bothered making this post because i think this has some real potential and i like where this is going.

Also im not just pointing out issues with it. if you want i can have long discussions with you about various solutions, and even offer to try to make some for you.

now if you could just tell me how(where) to style this thing...
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Downlord » 24 Jun 2015, 22:01

Version 0.4.1 is available: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... t/releases

Chat improvements
  • Auto completion in chat is no longer case sensitive
  • Clan tags are displayed (again) in the chat user list
  • Notification sound on "mention" (not yet on PM)
  • Transparent backgrounds for chat as well as users list
  • Categories title look less cloggy now

Removed embedded browser from News tab
Well, the detail view is still using an embedded browser, but it no longer displays the FAF web page but only a selected news page.
Note that this, as well as many other things, is by no means the final result but a proof-of-concept

Fixed windowing issues
Minimizing, resizing, re-opening in current state etc. was pretty bugged. It now works much better but not yet perfect; when un-minimizing a former maximized window, the window takes up space behind the taskbar. This can't yet be fixed (without any workaround I'm not yet aware of) due to a bug in JavaFX.

Hope you enjoy. And as always, feedback appreciated.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby tatsu » 25 Jun 2015, 18:08

Exotic_Retard wrote:Image
the top menu bar looks good.
so why do the tabs below it look like that?

@Downlord Hah!!!
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Kalvirox » 25 Jun 2015, 19:25

I didn't auto-join #vor_clan maybe this is the case for all clan chats?
Just thought it was worth mentioning, because it would be nice if we auto-joined our respected clan chats.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Postby Aulex » 26 Jun 2015, 00:51

Tatsu and Downloard, i''ll probably be on tmmw later in the night for you guys, sorry been a bit busy lately.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby tatsu » 26 Jun 2015, 02:42

Kalvirox wrote:I didn't auto-join #vor_clan maybe this is the case for all clan chats?
Just thought it was worth mentioning, because it would be nice if we auto-joined our respected clan chats.

this is a personal bug of yours.

normally regular faf already auto-joins your clan as is my case.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Downlord » 27 Jun 2015, 00:55

Version 0.4.2-alpha is available: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... t/releases

Replays
  • Replays are now recorded to local files (same directory as original FAF client) as well as to the online server
  • Local replay files are parsed and listed in the "Replays" tab in the "Vault" (this is, again, a proof of concept)

Show/hide private games
The button now does what it says

Chat improvements
  • Chat window no longer scrolls to bottom if scrolled up
  • Chat message input field is now focused automatically (update: bug: not in all cases yet)
  • Hovering over user names in the chat view shows their country flag, name and ranking

Hope you enjoy. And as always, feedback appreciated.

Kalvirox wrote:I didn't auto-join #vor_clan maybe this is the case for all clan chats?

I think tatsu got you wrong on this; yes clan channels are not yet joined. I'll add this for the next release.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions