Downlord's FAF Client

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Downlord's FAF Client

Postby pza » 18 Jun 2015, 12:13

minor stuff:
- random map, random blind map (cant see before u start, if possible at all)
- map selection filter for size/no. of players if possible

major ideas, tho not necessarily important stuff:
- tab to wiki, as web interface (or whatever equivalent you find for it)
- implementation of a unit database, preferably an auto-updating one for when balance changes happen
- update notes for game

Enhanced User Experience for new players: "basic/extended client"- checkbox somewhere visibly positioned. the "basic" client only shows most important stuff aswell as tutorial stuff. check the box and the client shows everything. (this feature is debate-able, since not everyone likes such a checkbox. it's an idea though.)

i'll let you know if i have more ideas. feel free to discuss or simply say "f*** this, because xyz".
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby Blodir » 18 Jun 2015, 14:22

I suggest you look at #aeolus every now and then and see what people are asking a lot about - those are generally the things that need improvement. For example there's many people every single day asking about rating ("how do I find out my rating", "I played a game, but my rating didn't change", "I played a ladder game but my rating didn't change" etc.) - it's fairly easy to create an UI that answers all these questions.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Downlord » 18 Jun 2015, 14:36

I do and your points are already in the pipeline :-) Your rating will either be displayed on top directly (where it says "Downlord"), or in your stats when clicking. I also plan to notify users about new ranking after a game. However, I can only do what's not limited by the server.

Keep me updated with more of these questions.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby pza » 18 Jun 2015, 17:09

what do you guys think, would a "weekly poll" be manageable, or even any good? i can imagine someone would have to come up with ideas for polls like
"favourite faction" --> Aeon, Cybran, UEF, Seraphim
"favourite map" --> x, y, z, other
"best way to die" --> air drop, nuke, suicide other...

well i'm not the most creative. thoughts?
pza

Has liked: 22 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby Downlord » 18 Jun 2015, 18:22

pza wrote:well i'm not the most creative. thoughts?

I think we could notify the user about "important" votes he should participate in, like elections or something, but I don't feel like implementing some "who cares" polls :D no offence. They will however be able to rate maps (more prominently than at the moment) and we may collect stats about most played maps or so (becoming "favorited" automatically)
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Downlord » 23 Jun 2015, 01:01

The client now provides the minimum set of necessary features to be released as alpha.

You can get it here: https://github.com/micheljung/downlords ... v0.4-alpha

Keep in mind that the current goal is to implement many features rudimentary. The reason for that is to find problems as soon as possible. Once a feature has basically been implemented, polishing is the easier task.

What's new?

Proxy
The proxy code within the client now works. It's also an improvement over the original client's code (the original client allows max 11 proxied connections and uses fixed ports for those).

Map download
When joining a game, the map is downloaded automatically.

Automatic port configuration (PortCheck/UPnP)
Just after startup, the client checks whether your game port is reachable from the outside. If not, it tries to open it for you using UPnP. If this fails as well, you'll be notified.

Ladder
The 1v1 ladder is browsable and can either be searched by rank or a player name.

Chat improvements
Moderators are now correctly displayed in the "Moderators" panel. TAB auto-completion now works.

Player statistics
90-day statistics for a player can be queried. Since in my opinion the original client's graph is pretty useless (I'm interested in the change of my global rating, not at my maximum rating and the "area" in which I'm in), I reduced it to display the global ranking only.

As always, feedback appreciated.
Last edited by Downlord on 23 Jun 2015, 11:56, edited 2 times in total.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby speed2 » 23 Jun 2015, 01:27

TAB auto-completion works only if I start with capital letter (for those who has capital letter in nick), thats bit annoying.
I hope you'll also add colors for friends/moderators in chat.

Its nice that mods are on top, pretty clearly marked, but could you exclude AeonCom and QAI from it? so ppl dont message bots?

For the hosted games Id recommend to sort it as chat, first group all public games, second that would be below, games with password, right now its not very clear.
I guess you wants to use that Show pritave games button, but I think, putting them at the bottom would be more elegant solution.

Also I like more how FAF currently shows who's in the lobby, just hovering curson over a game is enough to quickly check. In your lobby I actually have to click every game hosted to see that. Also adding country flags to names will be good.

Otherwise it looks good, I guess some of my suggestions might be planned, but still, its better to mention it.
Last edited by speed2 on 23 Jun 2015, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby --- » 23 Jun 2015, 01:33

I havn't tested he client yet, so this comment refers only to the provided images. The client looks really nice. I would remove the4 digits after the comma (win ration). That's a bit too hard core :D Also numbers of games played would be easier to compare if the numbers somewho were alligned to the right.

instead of

---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Downlord » 23 Jun 2015, 01:54

speed2 wrote:TAB auto-completion works only if I start with capital letter

Thx, fixed.

speed2 wrote:I hope you'll also add colors for friends/moderators in chat.

Started that with Aulex on his PC :)

speed2 wrote:Could you exclude AeonCom and QAI from it?

Yes

speed2 wrote:For the hosted games Id recommend[...]

There's a lot going to be changed/improved in the games screen anyway. It's just rudimentary a.t.m.

Blackster wrote:I would remove the4 digits after the comma (win ration)

Oh yes, I remember that moment I wanted to change it (that's what the server sends... lol), but something must have had distracted me.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Androish » 23 Jun 2015, 02:14

Here is the look on retina, with dpi scaling on :)
Attachments
Retina.PNG
Retina.PNG (475.97 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Androish

Has liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Androish

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions