Downlord's FAF Client

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Downlord's FAF Client

Postby Sheeo » 02 Jun 2015, 20:53

Downlord wrote:
Aurion wrote:Ideal would be if all replay metadata would be pushed to a search engine like SolR or ElasticSearch to make searching for replays really good.

I love such ideas, keep them coming. You can also always contact me directly for any suggestion and questions, or just to have a chat.

SolR/ElasticSearch would be an implementation detail (At least from the perspective of the client). What matters here is the API the client uses to fetch the results from the server.

When you do work on this as part of your client project, it would be nice if you would help sketch an API for implementation here.

I'll add that these search engines shine in the case of fulltext indexing -- replay metadata isn't really that kind of data :)
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Aurion » 02 Jun 2015, 21:01

Sheeo wrote:
Downlord wrote:
Aurion wrote:Ideal would be if all replay metadata would be pushed to a search engine like SolR or ElasticSearch to make searching for replays really good.

I love such ideas, keep them coming. You can also always contact me directly for any suggestion and questions, or just to have a chat.

SolR/ElasticSearch would be an implementation detail (At least from the perspective of the client). What matters here is the API the client uses to fetch the results from the server.

When you do work on this as part of your client project, it would be nice if you would help sketch an API for implementation here.

I'll add that these search engines shine in the case of fulltext indexing -- replay metadata isn't really that kind of data :)

Fulltext is one aspect in which they are good, yes. Facetted search being another (this could be really interesting for metadata, but also if we could extract more data out of replays for example). It would also be nice and intuitive to just use terms like 'Sheeo vs Blackheart' and then get the most relevant matches first. If you only want to filter on metadata those engines aren't really needed, but there are so many more possibilities :D

As you said this is not really a case for the client though.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby Downlord » 02 Jun 2015, 21:12

Aurion wrote:As you said this is not really a case for the client though.

It is a case for both, server and client side. I also thought about an intelligent search, like MAC's finder or Windows' search-thingy in the start menu. But that's something for the future.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby Vee » 02 Jun 2015, 23:46

The thing about sufficiently complete search APIs is that they usually end up as an ad hoc reimplementation of relational algebra ;-) So why not admit that this is going to happen and put the replay part of the DB (or the whole DB for that matter) on some shadow server and expose that to the public read only. OK that sounds like a terrible idea, but maybe it isn't? :P
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Re: FAF Client 2.0

Postby tatsu » 03 Jun 2015, 01:11

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:I do feel that the FAF lobby looks outdated

that's only if you don't theme it.
Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:and is bugged.
now that is true but apparently it's mostly server side.

My biggest gripe with it is all the messages regarding ports and linux versions and shit. I forwarded my ports, correctly altered the firewall rules, I don't know what this thing's inventing. I used to be reputably one of the hosts with the most stable connection and able to connect to the most people now I'm told after everygame of people not being able to connect with me, I don't understand!

well either way the UI work on this new project looks amazing @Downlord !

Maybe just change the color of the icon's border from white to red or some shit.

does it currently feature previewing the map in hosted games tab?

If you add this as one of your goals i'll donate! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3938
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby nine2 » 03 Jun 2015, 03:42

I think a nicer way to display games would be just to have the icon with the text overlayed on top of it like this. This could apply to lots of places, viewing replays, selecting maps for ranked, choosing the map for your custom game.

nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Kalvirox » 09 Jun 2015, 18:12

Anihilnine wrote:I think a nicer way to display games would be just to have the icon with the text overlayed on top of it like this. This could apply to lots of places, viewing replays, selecting maps for ranked, choosing the map for your custom game.

I think that would be a nicer way of displaying the vaults ect, keeping the "Find Games" similar to what it is already.
Much approval of the "Private Games" filter.

Keep the find games tab something close to what it normal FAF is nice because I think it makes it clearer than the list system. But I do really like what you are doing. It looks really cool.

One of the annoying things with FAF is that I could not be on another tab and be in chat at the same time. Maybe you could implement something that could do this?

Keep up the good work folks.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Postby Downlord » 17 Jun 2015, 23:00

There's been a lot of progress since my original post. Let me give you an update on what's been done - at least of what's important.

Proxy Code
The proxy code works in general; it's able to connect two players that both have no port forwarding and let them play. It still has bugs however when there are multiple people in the lobby, maybe some leaving and joining etc.

Parsing map vault
The map vault is currently an embedded web view with a pretty clumsy UI - so it's HTML. In order to get that information into my client, I needed to parse that HTML (tell me if there's another way). This has been implemented and I can currently list the maps in a boring table.

Parsing leader boards
Pretty much the same as map vault; it's able to parse the standard leader board and display it in a table.

Proxy Code
The proxy code works in general; it's able to connect two players that both have no port forwarding and let them play. It still has bugs however when there are multiple people in the lobby, maybe some leaving and joining etc.

Parsing map vault
The map vault is currently an embedded web view with a pretty clumsy UI - so it's HTML. In order to get that information into my client, I needed to parse that HTML (tell me if there's another way). This has been implemented and I can currently list the maps in a boring table.

Parsing leader boards
Pretty much the same as map vault; it's able to parse the standard leader board and display it in a table.

Detecting/selecting game path
If your game path can't be detected automatically, you'll be asked to select it.

Game creation
Set a title, a password, select a desired ranking (has no effect without server-side support), the game type and search/select a map. Remembers your last settings.

Join game
Joining games, providing a password if needed. However, some games (probably ones using mods) can't be joined since I receive no answer from the server on request. Investigation pending.

Persistent notifications
There will be "persistent" and "transient" notifications. Persistent notifications have been implemented; they stay until the user performs any action on them but without blocking his UI like a modal dialog.

Status bar and background tasks

To prevent the UI from locking, tasks are done in background. The progress of long-running tasks are displayed in the status bar. Also, there's information whether your port is reachable and whether your connected to FAF and IRC.

For more information or to support my work, visit the project page.

Feedback appreciated.
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby tatsu » 17 Jun 2015, 23:52

On the create game dialog only, I once again have a different proposition.

Two simple things :

one : that the dialog be embedded, getting rid of any popup and drop down windows of any type. (and it doesn't close if you click on another program)

two : that the dialogue and main mod selection be merged to provide ease of use. E.G. when you play a game type : say black ops, or phantom ....you generally play several in a row don't you? :) (that said downlord's version does remember last game mode and have it selected by default but I find it cool that you know what you're going to host even before you click on the button to open the dialog. It also is, of course, possible to change this still, once the dialog is open.)

oh and also I moved the rating labels down for more visibility. :P

tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby quark036 » 18 Jun 2015, 02:03

Here's a suggestion for your client: some button or method to invite friends into your game, like in steam
quark036

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Quark036

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions