Visual feedback

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Re: Visual feedback

Postby pip » 11 May 2015, 13:54

It's now again an active thread!
Please post your feedback in precise words (as precise as possible) : which units, which aspects of the textures (definition, colour, design, etc), or of the model.

Brute51 planned a texture overhaul some years ago but managed to texture only two units so far : t3 armored tank and t3 static artillery. They are supposed to be a preview of a more uniformed style. Brute51 will use, if ever he resumes this task, a texture software to automatize the texturing procedure and save time, and obtain a more coherent set of textures, in the lines of these units.

The other units have different styles for now, at least 3 styles are used. A couple units have no texture, or broken texture, and are awaiting for a new one since a long time.

If you are a texture artist, you are welcome to contribute!

By the way, the unit pics can also probably be improved. I did some of them, and I know they are not optimal.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Resin_Smoker » 11 May 2015, 14:34

Brute51 wrote:Most of the icons are reused images from the original game. Could you update/rework the icons so they're better? I suck at 2D artistery and the guy who used to do 2D artwork is out of contact.

I've done a tons of icons for use with 4DC and I can say from experience that they are a pain in the arse. Not only to you have to create a texture that provides meaning and fits the faction you also must have something that looks great. Consider this then realize that each icon / button is really four separate images!

Cheers!

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby --- » 11 May 2015, 19:29

I just notice how hard it will be to explain the specific issues I have with some units. In general many units appear clumsy (a box with a gun on top). Many units look kinda alike, this is even more apparent due to the similar texture. Then there are various colors to be found on the units. Admittedly they belong kinda to the same basic color but still, its so much... Same goes for the weapons. We have blue, red, green, black and probably even more colors for explosions. Wow xD
I ll take some pics and will use them to be more precise.
I want to emphasize once more that even when I am kinda harsh here, I think you have done a great job so far and its this believe that makes me invest my time to post here :)
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby pip » 11 May 2015, 20:04

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes Resin, your icons are much better than anything I could come up with...
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Brute51 » 11 May 2015, 22:57

Feedback is very much appreciated. At the moment though models and textures are low in priority. Don't hesitate to post feedback, it will be considered and used but it may take a bit of time (working on sounds and sorting out some last code things first).
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Previous

Return to Nomads Discussions