How to counter monkeylord rush?

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

How to counter monkeylord rush?

Postby benikens » 26 Nov 2013, 03:15

So I started playing again for the first time in years last week and we had a lan, played for a couple days straight. Problem lies in one of my friends always turtles and ramps out a monkeylord then sneaks it in my base to kill my ACU. Perhaps my strat in general is flawed, I usually have 2 factories early spamming t1 then build more and upgrade to t2 spam some more then roll over to t3 spam some more. When he walked his spider bot in I had like 20 or so of the siege assult bots but they just got zapped by the lazer and then he hit my ACU and I'm dead. I didn't really have much defence though. Will t3 PD hold it off? or should I get like a squadron of air specifically to nail it, seems like its his only play. I can definitely beat him down by just rushing but the guys I play with hate that.

Is there an optimum build order to ramp to tech 4 fastest? cause I feel like my eco is behind his and I can't get out a tech4 in time to fight his, but it might just be cause I spend the game building armies and attacking while he sits back and waits.
benikens

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Benikens

Re: How to counter monkeylord rush?

Postby Pierto » 26 Nov 2013, 03:52

There are many ways to counter it and all of them require good scouting or an omni sensor (since the monkey has stealth). I used to struggle with this as well so I calculated some counters (I assume you play UEF):

- 10 Percivals are able to stop a monkeylord but you have to line them up perfectly so they shoot at the monkeylord together (I actually calculated this with the stats from the previous patch but I assume dps is still the same).
- 19 Triads will chew through a Monkeylord. They have longer range than the ML so they will start dealing damage before the ML gets into range with its laser
- 7 Ravagers kill a Monkeylord. Same story with the range.
- Air counter: no specific numbers on that, but a few strats are usually enough to kill it. A hoard of T2 Gunships work too, but you will lose quite a few due to the ML AA.

I found the T3 Pd to be the most efficient. Even if you have only a few Ravagers under some shields. This will be enough to scare the monkeylord away or at least damage it severely so you can finish it with overcharge or other land forces. Also remember that the ML is quite fast, so the sooner you can start damaging it, the better. Ideally it dies just when it arrives in your base. Once you killed the Monkeylord, say 'thank you for the mass' and upgrade your eco.

But the best counter is always to prevent your opponent from getting a monkeylord in the first place. Keep him busy, snipe his eco, ... If he has no units and only eco, he should be punished! :)
Last edited by Pierto on 26 Nov 2013, 04:29, edited 2 times in total.
"T2 mex, I think it's a mistake! Why not do something more useful?" (RA_Zlo in a ranked 1v1 game against Yarma_Darma on Haven's Reef)
Pierto

Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Pietros

Postby benikens » 26 Nov 2013, 04:07

Thanks I'm inclined to try T3 PD with shields. The first time it happened I had all my assault bots marching to his base as they were being made so when I ran into the monkeylord it only had to fight 2-3 at a time and ruined me. I could def disrupt his eco more. I also like the idea of being prepared for the strategy so I can steal the mass and pump up my eco.
benikens

Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Benikens

Postby ZLO_RD » 26 Nov 2013, 07:48

Percivals and bricks are more cost effective then monkeylord, however you should care that ML not killing your units one by one
as sera or aeon you will probably need your own t4 or t3 bots/tanks with mobile shields and t2 PD suport

also you need just scout such things as t4... he could kill you with anything if you have no idea what is coming
and try to play/expand more agressively on t1 t2 t3 stages, most of games not even going to t4 stage...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby D4E_Omit » 26 Nov 2013, 09:31

Easiest method is to scout scout scout scout and keep scouting and if you see one in construction make back player make either 50 gunships or mercies..
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby ZLO_RD » 26 Nov 2013, 12:11

D4E_Omit wrote:Easiest method is to scout scout scout scout and keep scouting and if you see one in construction make back player make either 50 gunships or mercies..

sound too much like setons,
but in real game you can use strats against exps
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Cantor » 26 Nov 2013, 14:15

T3 siege bots kill a monkeylord for the same mass invested. 20 siege bots should *easily* kill a monkeylord. If you are behind then you can take a risk and try to let your acu overcharge his monkeylord.

Another counter is t2 gunships.
Cantor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Cantor

Return to Nomads Discussions