Nomads next steps

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Nomads next steps

Postby Softly » 27 Aug 2012, 23:41

As nomads develops I see two areas that can be worked on:

1) Development of units, textures, features etc.
2) Balancing of units and abilities so that the game fits right into FAF.

The first point requires our team of developers to keep up the good work, big thanks to them and keep it coming :)

The second point is something that everyone can, and I hope will, get involved with. It will require lots of input from as many people as possible and to that end I think we need to have a more coherent strategy for getting people on board.

Once we have something in place for application to nomads, we need people to apply. This means getting people excited about it, so that when they get here they also are motivated to actually play.

Then we need to think about public release. We want people to be excited about it, and we want people to enjoy it.

Feedback on how to achieve any of this is welcome, or if theres stuff I've missed then tell me that too :)

My suggestions at the moment are:
1) Get an application form going again.
2) Get some formal rules of use written up, so people don't unkowingly do something stupid. (And also to stop people who might knowingly do stupid things)
3) Open up a public discussion area in the nomads forum so others can get excited and pose questions together.
4) Get a nomads game casted to interest people. (perhaps play a bunch of 1v1s and select the one which best showcases nomad units)
Points 3 and 4 also would need to be implemented at the right time, so that we get interest when we need it, and not having interest generated tail off for public beta etc.

Also I like this idea http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nomads/im ... m#imagebox
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Re: Nomads next steps

Postby Softly » 07 Sep 2012, 19:46

In the absence of feedback, I'd like to push ahead with the plan of getting weekly casted games and linking them into a public discussion area in the nomads, to generate interest as the project nears beta release.

This new forum area will require a dedicated rules thread. (as well as having FAF forum rules apply)

Ideas are:

1) Feel free to discuss and float ideas, but don't expect from developers confirmation/denial of features.
2)Things will change so don't complain if you see units balancing change on a weekly basis.
3)New ideas for features will not be implemented

I'll try to arrange for a dedicated nomads youtube channel with a game casted every week. As such we will need people to play games and put forward replays that would be appropriate. Over the course of releasing videos we want to "show off" more and more features, so initially we only want to have a limited number of unit types on show.

Again suggestions and feedback welcome.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 07 Sep 2012, 19:50

That would be awesome !
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 08 Sep 2012, 15:48

These are great ideas.
I think that in the same line of ideas, once Nomads get more beta testers, which will be much easier once the unified mesh file becomes official in FAF and solve the shader issue once and for all, it would be great to have a series of Nomads tutorials like Ubergeek did for all the ranked map pool.
One tutorial for each domain (land, air, sea), one for all the special abilities (artillery support, Bombard mode, EMP / anti shield, orbital abilities, etc), one for ACU and SCU upgrades, one for Experimentals, etc.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Softly » 11 Sep 2012, 19:25

At the moment its a game between me and killhard on blasted rock that will be casted as no other nomad games have been played.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby SYSTEM_FAILURE » 23 Dec 2015, 10:30

I can arrange for GB members to help with nomad games, we prefer to play unranked fun anyway so i cant see this being a problem. I can forward feedback on unit balance if you like?

Let me know
SYSTEM_FAILURE

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: SYSTEM_FAILURE

Postby pip » 23 Dec 2015, 10:44

Thanks Jason, but Nomads are broken in FAF currently, and will probably remain so for a long, long time, if not forever.
pip
Supreme Commander

Postby SYSTEM_FAILURE » 23 Dec 2015, 12:09

Hows that Pip ?
SYSTEM_FAILURE

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: SYSTEM_FAILURE

Postby pip » 24 Dec 2015, 00:12

FAF patches constantly break Nomads on FAF and Brute51 doesn't have the time nor the will to fix the new issues after each patch. Until Nomads code is included in FAF, this will happen and I don't see Brute or anyone else doing this anytime soon, if ever.
pip
Supreme Commander

Postby --- » 24 Dec 2015, 20:21

sad face
I regularly check the Nomad's pages here. Just know there are people still interested in this project :)
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Next

Return to Nomads Discussions