Changes that are absolutely necessary before the open beta

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Changes that are absolutely necessary before the open beta

Postby FunkOff » 26 Sep 2011, 04:21

I'm just curious what everybody thinks are absolutely necessary changes before Nomads goes into open beta. Obviously, the dev team will decide when that is... but what are the most important issues?

Personally, I can only think of two: The T2 Sonar needs to upgrade to the T3 version properly and the ACU orbital upgrade weapon needs to be adjusted in such a way that it is balanced... namely by giving it some kind of a cooldown. A 4 minute cooldown, I think, would be a fair place to start.

Anybody else? Moritz, Brute? What's your guys' plan?
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Changes that are absolutely necessary before the open be

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 26 Sep 2011, 13:26

FunkOff wrote:Ithe ACU orbital upgrade weapon needs to be adjusted in such a way that it is balanced... namely by giving it some kind of a cooldown. A 4 minute cooldown

I think it would be better to make it working like TMLs, so you have to build stuff before placing it somewhere\
and the costs should be higher than just those PDs' all together
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Sep 2011, 13:36

And the cruiser need some nerf too. At least no leading missiles.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby FunkOff » 26 Sep 2011, 16:01

Zep, just looking at the Nomads cruiser compared to the UEF/Serpahim ones, it may be balanced. The Nomad cruiser has a stronger direct fire gun, but the cruiser missile has a much shorter range (100 against 150) and lower DPS (100 against 120 and 250) making it by far the worst of the three bombardment cruisers at actual bombardment. I think it may very well be balanced, just different than we're used to.

http://www.fa-nomads.com/db2/supcomDB_s ... 02,XSS0202
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Sep 2011, 16:03

You can't approach it with amphibious units covered by shields, I think that's a problem.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Brute51 » 26 Sep 2011, 19:51

It's good to see you guys are not affraid of units that act a little different from what's in the game for the other factions. Don't hesitate to mention anything that you think is not ok (bugs, balance) cause we really need that info. For a coder like me it's easy to miss something as little as missiles homing yes or no, or something doing twice the damage it should do. That said, we all try to get the best result and quality, it's not like anything is missed on purpuse. But this is where you guys come in.

The cruiser has homing missiles cause it uses missiles identical to a few other units which do have homing missiles. When (re)designing Nomads I've tried to keep things unified. In a nutshell: the Cralwer experimental has the same missiles as the Cruiser. The Crawler has homing missiles, so the cruiser has them homing too. You may find similar situations in the mod. For example, the Stingray direct fire cannon on the Cruiser has a high rate of fire. All other units with this cannon have high rate of fire aswell (T2 gunship, Destroyer).

The main criterium for going 'open': all units and all unit models should be done. There is still at least 1 unit missing (a T3 naval unit, and I'm considering whether to add a cheaper T3 land unit) and some units have UEF models. When the 1 or 2 absent units are in AND we no longer have UEF placeholder models AND there are no more serious issues then we can start thinking about going 'open'. I can't give you a timeline at this point; all modellers are volunteers (obviously) so it's hard to predict anything.
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Postby Ze_PilOt » 26 Sep 2011, 19:57

Maybe the homing missile is okay but the DPS/splash is too huge, it has to be tested further.

Or maybe it's intended that he cruiser cannot be killed by land units. I'm not sure about others sea units.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby FunkOff » 26 Sep 2011, 20:00

Should be "the main criterion". A criterium is a bike race.

Also, good to hear about the plan for going open. I hope it's soon.... maybe you can use the dreadnought model as a battleship? IT would need some tweaking, for sure... but it could work.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby Brute51 » 26 Sep 2011, 20:22

No, the dreadnought model is not really usable. It's direct fire guns face only sideways. It has 20 torpedo launchers aswell and a missile launcher but these can't save the model. I don't know who modelled it but he wasn't thinking. It can only be some kind of submarine. I'll leave it in the mod so other modders can play with it but I have no plans of using it.
Brute51

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Brute51

Postby Isen » 27 Sep 2011, 10:19

i think nomad navy isnt op, i played a roanoke, uef vs nomad, and uef navy > nomad navy, maybe i can't say that with only a game, more 1vs1 are required, but i can't use hotkeys for buildings with nomads :(
Last edited by Isen on 27 Sep 2011, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Isen

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Isen_

Next

Return to Nomads Discussions