Dont like new Nomads (FAF) Topic is solved

General Discussions about The Nomads.

Moderators: Softly, pip, Brute51, CookieNoob, JJ173, Moritz

Dont like new Nomads (FAF)

Postby baval » 15 Apr 2017, 06:15

Why was their base color changed to black from bronze? Why do some of their units fire lasers now when thats against their lore? Why do their nukes use the same explosion as the commander with the star in the fire rather than leaving behind a flaming Nomads symbol? (this was very cool)

They still play the same, but they no longer feel like Nomads. They just look like discount Cybrans now. And the thing with the nuke was one of the funnest things about them.
baval

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Baval

Re: Dont like new Nomads (FAF)

Postby Exotic_Retard » 15 Apr 2017, 10:23

Hello, apparently im in charge of the art style for the nomads.

anyway, the reason they are changed to black is that having such a strongly coloured base colour of orange makes no sense when their official faction colour is also orange. whats more is that orange clashes with other colours - the base colour should be something neutral, and if you look at the other factions you will notice their base colours are all quite desaturated, ranging from black to white to mirrored.

the nomads project has quite some ambitions in changing the units looks, and a lot of the models are planned to be replaced, i hope you will like the new models more : )
so to have the new models fit in the nomads got a colour scheme change which lets us replace one model at a time and not be forced to replaced them all at once.

heres a preview of a (wip) nomads acu model:

theres still some work to be done on it so its subject to change but this is kinda gonna be the new look or something.

about unit firing lasers - thats not the intention - they are supposed to use mostly conventional fragmentation munitions, as a cheap way of solving the gun problem.
if there are some specific effects you dont like then take screens of them and maybe they will change as a result

the nuke was indeed the funniest thing about them, and im not sure its a good idea since nomads isnt a joke mod xD sorry but the faction symbol was kinda ridiculous.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby baval » 15 Apr 2017, 16:20

I do not like that new model more. The Nomads are supposed to be a lower tech that the other races, still using conventional firearms and having piloted support acus. That model looks like something from Cybran again. Considering Cybran are supposed to feel like higher tech than the other human races, and nomads are supposed to feel like lower tech, thats very bad.

The other factions have muted base colors but they all also have their own unique base colors. And while having them be bronze (not orange) while their faction color was orange might seem strange to you, it also made them look steampunk, which again made them seem lower tech than the others. In addition, now that theyre going to be black are you going to ban them from choosing black? And as you mentioned, every race has its own unique base color (except aeon/seraphim, but thats because of the copied technology), but now Nomads have the same base as Cybran.

The nuke having the Nomad logo while their explosion having the asterisk is a quirk that made them fun to play as. I didnt say funniest, I said funnest (my fault for improper grammar). It wasnt funny, it was cool. You might think that makes them seem like a joke, but then are you going to remove the legs from Cybrans ships because I think thats pretty funny?

Its clear you put a lot of work into that ACU model, but it looks like a cybran model, not Nomads. You need to change the nomads back to their proper color and restore their nuke. Dont turn Nomads into ninjas for no reason. If you want to change them so drastically, make your own mod.
Last edited by baval on 15 Apr 2017, 22:14, edited 3 times in total.
baval

Postby baval » 15 Apr 2017, 16:27

If you insist on giving them more muted colors, I would suggest looking at this persons work:

viewtopic.php?p=110521

They muted the nomads while managing to preserve their old fashioned look and color scheme.

Or, leave the old Nomads in as a mod included with them, like how the old Nomads had the T3 tank with lasers included as a mod.
baval

Postby JJ173 » 15 Apr 2017, 17:51

As much as we appreciate your feedback, you must understand this. We (as a development team) have a goal of bringing the Nomads to everyone who plays FAF. Right now, the Nomads mod is in a fine condition as to where they are mostly balanced and most importantly: playable. 3 months ago, the mod didnt even work with the current FAF patch.

Previously, the Nomads weren't optimised very well. They cause a large load for the rendering process due to a lot of reasons. Reasons include; models with smaller hidden models inside, unnecessary polygons, effects that didnt finish properly and extreme particle counts from some effects. Some models just needed replacing (see the old sonar model for example). As Exotic_Retard already explained, the orange/bronze base color of nomads doesnt work with most of the team colors in the game. There is also no need to "ban the black color", since FAF removed that color a long time ago.

I'm sure the team will have a discussion about your topic. However, I wouldn't expect drastic reverting. Unfortunately, it's difficult to please everyone and the feedback about the new colors was very positve (actually you're the first one who complained about them).
Last edited by CookieNoob on 15 Apr 2017, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: contained a lot of wrong informations
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby baval » 15 Apr 2017, 18:44

Thats interesting that im the first one to complain about them, becuase the reaction ive had from everyone ive shown them to has been the same: they look like knockoff cybran. I also dont see any topics or anything where anyone is saying anything positive about the change, its just what I expect from Nomads: no ones really talking about them.

dane change.png

In addition just last night i was talking with some people in the FAF chat that werent happy with the changes.

Citing a bunch of gameplay improvements has nothing to do with the look of the faction. And I disagree that the bronze looked bad with colors, as I found very few (if any) colors that looked really bad with it. While no colors look bad with black, that means nothing.

The fact of the matter is you were setting out to bring back Nomads, and youre not doing that. If you changed the models and colors of Cybran to all look more like Aeon do you think people who liked Cybran would be happy? Bring back Nomads, not Cybran knockoffs with nomad mechanics (and youre changing the mechanics too! bombard mode is now "lose accuracy mode" and theres talk about changing the capacitor?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baval

Postby RocketRooster » 15 Apr 2017, 21:22

Has anyone seen the tabletop miniatures game Flames of War and it's expansion, Konflikt 47?

That is what they should look like I reckon.

That being said. I have an understanding of the immense amount of work required to model, animate and texture 3D meshes. I wouldn't crap where I eat if I were you, Baval.
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby baval » 15 Apr 2017, 22:02

I fully appreciate the amount of time it takes to model, which is a good reason to voice my dissent early before many models have been done.

I also am not "crapping where I eat" as if Nomads end up becoming too much of a different faction, I already know where to get older versions of the mod and have it installed. I dont HAVE to play the FAF version, but it would be nice to see Nomads come to FAF, not something with similar mechanics and the same name as Nomads.

Say someone made a mod for Supreme Commander 2 that was supposed to add Seraphim to it. Suppose that said mod ended up putting in a bunch of models that looked like War of the Worlds kind of vehicles with green as the base color (to look more alien). Other than that, they played like Seraphims, and the mod was called Seraphims. Do you think people who played Seraphims would be happy with that?

Also, I agree that is a much more Nomad looking model

edit: glad to see my minor comment on the "new nomads update" about the movement boost being on the same arm as the engineering suite was deleted and the thread locked.
baval

Postby CookieNoob » 15 Apr 2017, 23:11

you're welcome that we fixed the mod to work again.

If you dont like our changes, I refer you to the version 60 release that was prior to the texture changes.

you seriously want to argue that the orange one looks better??
sonar.png

The post you're talking about was in a topic that is supposed to take the role of an announcement topic and NOT for balance discussions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Re: Dont like new Nomads (FAF)  Topic is solved

Postby baval » 15 Apr 2017, 23:23

Thank you for telling me which release is before the texture changes. Im glad to see you and your team are receptive of the comments from actual Nomads players. Im sure all the Cybran players are looking forward to seeing how this mod develops.

The mod never stopped working for me. No one played Nomads on FAF when it was working, so when it stopped working here I simply downloaded it and installed it locally.

The mods changed hands twice (3 times?) already, so I guess ill just hope when it changes hands again it goes to someone who actually likes Nomads rather than wanting to change them to a completely different race.

I want to thank JJ173 for being the only one ive spoken with on your team so far with professionalism.

Edit:Since you edited your post, no, i wont argue the brass one looks better in terms of modeling. I will say that it looks more Nomads though, and its design could have been updated rather than scrapping it and making something completely different.
baval

Return to Nomads Discussions